Thread: strange experience in PE

Default strange experience in PE

Hi Guys,

As some of you may know I spent a week hunting the grunt in the Swartkops. Fished 10 hour days for a week straight and missed 2 fish. Not exactly productive. Also managed to stand on about 30 sand sharks and screamed like a little girl (to the locals delight) every time I did so.

On the third day while stripping a Krige Goby through modderspruit I had a solid take and about a full line away from me something went aerial in a big way. It took about 50 meters of backing and i ran out and accross the channel watching this thing jump and shake its head.

I was trying to figure out what on earth it was and thought it could only really be a Mullet or Skippy. The fight was incredible and about 20 minutes later I was shocked and slightly disturbed to see a BUS saltwater catfish at my feet. It must have been 5 kilos.

Trying not to touch the slipper spikey creature I slid it onto the bank and as I did about 20 little saltwater catfish popped out its mouth

It was like a scene out of big fish. I released it and it went on its merry way. Must have thought my goby was one of its kids

I still cant believe the fight though... On conventional my experience is they always just swim straight to you.

I immediately went back to the lodge, sat down in the shower, and cried. bizarre
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

Quote Originally Posted by petercoetzee View Post
    Hi Guys,

As some of you may know I spent a week hunting the grunt in the Swartkops. Fished 10 hour days for a week straight and missed 2 fish. Not exactly productive. Also managed to stand on about 30 sand sharks and screamed like a little girl (to the locals delight) every time I did so.

On the third day while stripping a Krige Goby through modderspruit I had a solid take and about a full line away from me something went aerial in a big way. It took about 50 meters of backing and i ran out and accross the channel watching this thing jump and shake its head.

I was trying to figure out what on earth it was and thought it could only really be a Mullet or Skippy. The fight was incredible and about 20 minutes later I was shocked and slightly disturbed to see a BUS saltwater catfish at my feet. It must have been 5 kilos.

Trying not to touch the slipper spikey creature I slid it onto the bank and as I did about 20 little saltwater catfish popped out its mouth

It was like a scene out of big fish. I released it and it went on its merry way. Must have thought my goby was one of its kids

I still cant believe the fight though... On conventional my experience is they always just swim straight to you.

I immediately went back to the lodge, sat down in the shower, and cried. bizarre
    Lay off the tik kid.....!

kyle play nicely or ill tell everyone about the condom you caught
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

Quote Originally Posted by petercoetzee View Post
    Hi Guys,

I renamed the Swartkops mouth "juvenile sea monster cove" after my last trip, also caught a saltwater catfish (about 3-4 kg), 5 cutlefish and a stingray, all with chartreuse clousers whilst targeting garrick under the N2. Strange place, that.

Crazy - that's huge. I don't think I've ever seen one over a Kilo. And when you find them at sea they come out in numbers.

Was it the one with the forked tail? I've caught the other type in natal with a barbel / kinlglip type tail and they get pretty big.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

ya the one with the forked tail. had no idea they grew that large either. next time im wearing boots to wade. dropped one on my foot when i was young and the spine got me. swelled up like a basketball

Crazy fishy tail man...

Could you find the species on fishbase??
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    Crazy fishy tail man...

Could you find the species on fishbase??
    Just google "ugly slimy spikey fish" and I'm sure it will pop up.
    They really are that terrible!

They mouth-raise their young, thus the school of ugly slimers in it's mouth.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    Just google "ugly slimy spikey fish" and I'm sure it will pop up.
    They really are that terrible!

They mouth-raise their young, thus the school of ugly slimers in it's mouth.
    What freaked me out was that there was baitfisherman around that was very angry at me for releasing the barbel. They say it makes for realy good eating. How do you eat an ugly, slimy spikey seamonster? You should have seen them when I released the cutlefish, they wanted to use it as bait? Use a fish that changes colour and takes a fly with an extending tongue as bait? As I said strange place that.

Bizarre as it may be, atleast you had a nice fight.
    I'll send you some cleanex for those tears pal.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"