Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: Simms Freestone Boots

Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    lol... I hate you
    Lifes tough
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Default New Boots

Hey guys

just a quick update

fished out the rest of the season in my new riversheds

and they are fantastic

comfy and only showing slight wear

thanks again matt and john and co

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Hey guys,

Been a while since I was active on the forum, but I am about to purchase a pair of Simms wading boots. I own a pair of the older Freestones which many complained about..After using mine, I encountered the same problem with the front end taking a large amount of damage due to design I believe.. I see they seem have improved the design on the latest Freestones, but I'm considering upgrading to the Guide series.. Any thoughts anyone wants to share? Also I'm considering staying with the felt soles.. Also, any thoughts on whether I should change to vibram as both models offer felt or vibram.

Thanks!

Ryan
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

The current Freestones are great, I have felt soles and cannot complain.
    HOWEVER, I noticed a little problem over the last 3 or 4 months.

I have fine sand and silt accumalating between the inner liner and the outer shoe.
    It is on 3 spots,
    The spots are where there are the "least" pressure. or the most space in the shoes.
    It is almost, if the sand and silt can get in, and then can't get out.
    This then migrate to the area where the "Most space" is.
    It has reached such a level, that I now have heavily chaffed areas on my toes, where the sand and silt build up, after a day's fishing.
    I am not considering cutting the inner lining to get rid of the sand and grit.

I want to write to Simms, to find out how many guys have experienced this.
    This is after 2,5 years of fishing,

Any other person had similar experiences, or maybe feel in your boots, if there is a bit of a lump, that should not be there.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Hi Ryan... The Freestones you have, are probably the ones with the round toecap, Its not a design fault, but simply a design that is unsuited to our local conditions. Its still a good boot, just not right for the way we fish.
    The newer Freestones are every bit as good as they ever were, and the upper end models are simply awesome. Remember the freestones are Simms budget, entry level model. The Guide boots are actually the best that money can buy. Im not too sure about felt any more, I moved to the Vibram soles many years ago, and have not been disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Hey guys,

Been a while since I was active on the forum, but I am about to purchase a pair of Simms wading boots. I own a pair of the older Freestones which many complained about..After using mine, I encountered the same problem with the front end taking a large amount of damage due to design I believe.. I see they seem have improved the design on the latest Freestones, but I'm considering upgrading to the Guide series.. Any thoughts anyone wants to share? Also I'm considering staying with the felt soles.. Also, any thoughts on whether I should change to vibram as both models offer felt or vibram.

Thanks!

Ryan
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thanks for the info.. Perhaps I will try fix up the old ones with sole saver when I'm back home. I will decide whether I should get the guide or freestone boot and whether I should be vibram or felt.

Cheers,

Ryan

I have had the Simms Freestones for 3 years now and they have suffered loads of abuse and are still going strong. I have the felt version which I find better suited to the conditions up here. Cant comment on suitablility of felt vs. Vibram fro WC conditions.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    It is not silicone. Not sure the standard silicone will stand up to the job.
    It is SoleSaver or Sole Mate.
    You buy it from Sportmans Wharehouse. About R20 a tube.
    Applied to the right spots it will add another 2 to 3 years to your boots.
    Especially if you walk a lot with the wading boots ie to the beats and back.
    As Mentioned, the front 2 cm of the sole and heal.

Definitely worth the effort of going to Sportmans Wharehouse.
    Hope they still sell this... off to go try and get some to rescue mine...

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11