Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 108

Thread: Simms Freestone Boots

  1. #11

    Default

    ive got the Rivershead Streamtreads (vibram)... stitches on the front came loose after their first (easy) day
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    2,685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    Judging by the quality of these Simms and the response i got from them when i complained it wouldnt suprise me!!!

    They need to catch a serious wake up
    Mind sharing their actual response? Would be useful to hear the other side of this too.

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    I am one of the others suffering with the same problem, the felt is badly worn and the toe section is pretty much shot.

    For a high quality boot i am also VERY unsatisfied with the Simms Freestones!
    This worries me a bit as my stiching is coming lose on the bottom of the sole, but I thought nothing of it as the felt is still in great nick. Did your felt also start to tear lose like the Vibram soles in the photo? Do you have studs or not? Hopefully not as mine have studs and this might be the reason that the felt is still ok.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    2,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisvd View Post
    This worries me a bit as my stiching is coming lose on the bottom of the sole, but I thought nothing of it as the felt is still in great nick. Did your felt also start to tear lose like the Vibram soles in the photo? Do you have studs or not? Hopefully not as mine have studs and this might be the reason that the felt is still ok.
    The stitching has not come loose but the felt is worn almost all the way through! The toe of my boots look very similar to Kyle's.
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

  5. #15

    Default

    Well this is not good to hear, this will not do their reputation any good, especialy with their workhorse boot not performing as anticipated.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cape Town, Western Cape
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Hi chaps,

    I have a pair of Stealth wading boots.. They have served me well. The actual sole is stitched to the boot and that has given me no issues, the felt sole however is busy coming off the rubber sole the moment.

    I've just purchased a pair of Simms Freestones. They look really hardy and the felt sole is stitched to the rubber sole which is great, only thing I realise is that the rubber sole is not stitched to the actual boot. Has anyone had problems with these?? Pictures attached...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Hi chaps,

    I have a pair of Stealth wading boots.. They have served me well. The actual sole is stitched to the boot and that has given me no issues, the felt sole however is busy coming off the rubber sole the moment.

    I've just purchased a pair of Simms Freestones. They look really hardy and the felt sole is stitched to the rubber sole which is great, only thing I realise is that the rubber sole is not stitched to the actual boot. Has anyone had problems with these?? Pictures attached...
    I doubt if the rubber sole will come lose from the boot. The red stitching on that binds the felt to the rubber is worn on my boots and has come lose in places, the felt however has not come lose at all. I still like the boot and it will probably outlast my Orvis boots wich only held up for two years.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisvd View Post
    I doubt if the rubber sole will come lose from the boot. The red stitching on that binds the felt to the rubber is worn on my boots and has come lose in places, the felt however has not come lose at all. I still like the boot and it will probably outlast my Orvis boots wich only held up for two years.
    Yes, these are the ones that give trouble. The sole and felt on these will be fine. It is the same as the old Freestones, so won't come loose. The problem is with the toe cap. It protrudes beyond the sole and is subject to scuffing on rocks as you walk, and the consequent damage. The older Freestones had a different design, where the toe cap was situated behind the sole, so the part of the boot to bake contact with the rock as you walk, was the front of the sole. This seemed to be a far better design.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape
    Posts
    1,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyle-J View Post
    Guys, there has been much said about the new Simms freestone boots. I purchased my pair on 27 August 2009. I chose the version with the Vibrim soles as i thought these would be the most hard wearing and ideally suited to the type of fishing i enjoy.

    I have attached a pictures of what my boots look like at the moment...... this after only 4.5 months worth of use.......Now before i get accusd of being hard on my boots i have a pair of the Stealth boots with the Aquastealth sole, which after a season and a half have no wear on them (other than some of the stitching comming loose). So for a so called premium boot the Simms leave alot to be desired.

    Let this serve as a warning to all looking for new boots!!!

    P.S. i am not the only one with these problems, i personally know of at least four others suffering with similar problems.
    Sheet bro! That's a serious let down, spending all that cash thinking you're purchasing a decent product and getting this! No way!

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyle-J View Post
    Guys, there has been much said about the new Simms freestone boots. I purchased my pair on 27 August 2009. I chose the version with the Vibrim soles as i thought these would be the most hard wearing and ideally suited to the type of fishing i enjoy.

    I have attached a pictures of what my boots look like at the moment...... this after only 4.5 months worth of use.......Now before i get accusd of being hard on my boots i have a pair of the Stealth boots with the Aquastealth sole, which after a season and a half have no wear on them (other than some of the stitching comming loose). So for a so called premium boot the Simms leave alot to be desired.

    Let this serve as a warning to all looking for new boots!!!

    P.S. i am not the only one with these problems, i personally know of at least four others suffering with similar problems.
    Hi Kyle,

    Sorry to hear about the problem with your boots. As a comparison, I am a similar size to you although a lot flabbier . I got my first pair of old Freestones at the beginning of 2007 and bought a second pair at the end of 2008 when they announced the new version. Neither of my pairs have anything like the kind of wear yours do - the only thing that has worn on them are the soles. I think the fact that they are now glueing the upper to the sole as opposed to stitching it on is a major design flaw as is the material they are using for the uppers. It is nothing like as durable as the material on the old boots. I hope they sort it out for you otherwise Simms are going to be losing a lot of customers - both existing and future!
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

    Reap the Whirlwind - WM

    Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •