Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Simms Freestone Boots

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Hi Kyle,

Sorry to hear about the problem with your boots. As a comparison, I am a similar size to you although a lot flabbier . I got my first pair of old Freestones at the beginning of 2007 and bought a second pair at the end of 2008 when they announced the new version. Neither of my pairs have anything like the kind of wear yours do - the only thing that has worn on them are the soles. I think the fact that they are now glueing the upper to the sole as opposed to stitching it on is a major design flaw as is the material they are using for the uppers. It is nothing like as durable as the material on the old boots. I hope they sort it out for you otherwise Simms are going to be losing a lot of customers - both existing and future!
    The glueing of the sole, is not going to cause the toe caps to fray the way they do. As far as I know, there has not been a single report of the sole and the upper separating. The problem seems to be with the vibram that is glued to the sole, this seems to separete from the sole, but not the sole from the upper. The ones with the felt still have no problems with the soles,, but seem to have the toe cap issue which is common to both vibram and felt models.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Jeepers Kyle! I've had no issues with my boots at all! Must have been a good batch
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

rumour has it that john cena has been wearing those in the ring...hence the abuse.
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    Maybe simm's started to make a weaker boot so to boost their sales through anglers replacing their boots more frequently???
    The Simms Freestone are bottom of the range Simms. They are just expensive for us here in SA.

The old freestones are so bulletproof that no one was interested in buying their top of the ranges boots, so they had to do something.

Still haven't heard a bad thing about the G4's yet.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    The Simms Freestone are bottom of the range Simms. They are just expensive for us here in SA.

The old freestones are so bulletproof that no one was interested in buying their top of the ranges boots, so they had to do something.

Still haven't heard a bad thing about the G4's yet.
    Sad that they had to go fix something that was not broken... And make them weak

Also why are things so darn expensive here, guess its the "tax" we pay for living in africa....
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    The glueing of the sole, is not going to cause the toe caps to fray the way they do. As far as I know, there has not been a single report of the sole and the upper separating. The problem seems to be with the vibram that is glued to the sole, this seems to separete from the sole, but not the sole from the upper. The ones with the felt still have no problems with the soles,, but seem to have the toe cap issue which is common to both vibram and felt models.
    IIRC Kevin Cox's boots had the sole come away from the upper. Denton's don't look like they are far behind. As far as rubber soles go, the better the grip the quicker they will wear - exactly like good car tyres. Whether they are Aquastealth or Vibram Streamtread they will wear quickly as "sticky" rubber is softer. I don't mind replacing soles as long as the rest of the boot holds out ito stitching, upper durability and upper to sole connection.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

granted there is a definate problem here but the fact that you guys are useing these boots to walk into the streams,does that not affect the longetivity of the boot.are they made for hiking and bundu bashing?
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    IIRC Kevin Cox's boots had the sole come away from the upper. Denton's don't look like they are far behind. As far as rubber soles go, the better the grip the quicker they will wear - exactly like good car tyres. Whether they are Aquastealth or Vibram Streamtread they will wear quickly as "sticky" rubber is softer. I don't mind replacing soles as long as the rest of the boot holds out ito stitching, upper durability and upper to sole connection.
    Ok, fair enough, I have not seen Kevins, or Dentons sole to upper connections, so cannot comment . I do know that both of them have the toe cap problem though.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Well seems there are a few guys who have similar problems!

I think it important to point out at this time that John and Matt at Upstream are trying to get some sort of solution from the distributors/Simms, they are doing what they can for me!

I just thought it a good idea to show what was happening to my boots in an effort to warn anyone who may be looking at a pair of these boots and the lack (to date) of response from the powers that be.

Someone mentioned a second side to the storey.... What other side is there other than the boots are 4.5 months old and are falling apart!

As I stated, my pair of stealth (with Aquastealth soles) don't have anywhere near the wear these do ( and those soles offer much better grip) and I got one and a half seasons out of those!!!

Well that's my rant over..... Need to get to my traffic intersection with my can in hand to beg for change to finance a new pair of wading boots!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    granted there is a definate problem here but the fact that you guys are useing these boots to walk into the streams,does that not affect the longetivity of the boot.are they made for hiking and bundu bashing?
    hey old boy!!! Long time no hear!

The reason I chose the vibrim over the felt is they are designed for walking into the more remote areas.... Slight compomise in grip in the water but supposed to be harder wearing....

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast