Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Simms Freestone Boots

there were 4 main complaints about the boots. All 4 have been upgraded to the Rivershed with Vibram sole free of charge. Simms and Frontier did a nice job of helping us to fix a bad situation.

I'm glad to hear you guys have been sorted!! Good to hear the retailers came to the party and helped out.. Always comes down to good service that brings the customer back... I still find myself in the same position though, I have a brand new pair of the freestones and have not used them..tricky thinking whether to just go ahead and use them or not...
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I'm glad to hear you guys have been sorted!! Good to hear the retailers came to the party and helped out.. Always comes down to good service that brings the customer back... I still find myself in the same position though, I have a brand new pair of the freestones and have not used them..tricky thinking whether to just go ahead and use them or not...
    just walk very very gently it seems, but go and use them.....nobody's going to buy them from you. Well done to the suppliers for helping out with the problems. What's the verdict going to be about future Simms boots in the range the guys bought? Are they looking at ways to fix the problems in the lower price brackets, back to the standard they were before?
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    just walk very very gently it seems, but go and use them.....nobody's going to buy them from you. Well done to the suppliers for helping out with the problems. What's the verdict going to be about future Simms boots in the range the guys bought? Are they looking at ways to fix the problems in the lower price brackets, back to the standard they were before?
    Well, it might have also been a bad batch. I hear that out of all the boots from this model that have been sold in SA, only a handfull have come back with the problem.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Well, it might have also been a bad batch. I hear that out of all the boots from this model that have been sold in SA, only a handfull have come back with the problem.
    Thanks Andre
    At least prospective buyers can feel at ease buying this range.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Being the one who started this whole furore i feel i should also say a few thank you's.

When I originaly started this thread, i received a mail from Mike. He said to me that Fronteir had taken it on themselves to order new boots and then take up the fight with Simms... this in order to keep their retailer (upstream) and customers happy.

After a few mails to and from i learned who Mike is. I then asked him if it were at all possible to pay in the extra and upgrade the boots (as i didnt want a repeat of the situation we were in), to which he replied, no.... because we have taken it upon ourselves to upgrade the boots to avoid any further problems. This was certainly not expected.

So i am up in Jozie at the moment and last week thought i would pop into Frontier to shake Mikes hand and thank him personaly, unfortunatley Mike wasnt in but i spoke with Dean. As luck would have it there was a pile of Simms boxes in the front of the shop.....OUR BOOTS!!! So i have had mine for a while now (they going to have to wait to be broken in as work is keeping me busy). I have waited until the rest of the guys knew what was happening before i posted anything.

So to the guys at Frontier and Upstream, thanks for the little extra, its has made what seemed to be a horrible situation that much more pleasant.

As for the future of the freestones... A little birdy told me that they have already been redesigned.......

Hey I got my new "bootse" im properly chuffed

This is a good example of where buying from a reputible dealer has its advantages
    thanks john ,matt and co

will let you know how they go

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I would protect the front edges with that takkie stuff of Korries or silicone or something and use them !!!

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Quote Originally Posted by damage View Post
    I would protect the front edges with that takkie stuff of Korries or silicone or something and use them !!!
    It is not silicone. Not sure the standard silicone will stand up to the job.
    It is SoleSaver or Sole Mate.
    You buy it from Sportmans Wharehouse. About R20 a tube.
    Applied to the right spots it will add another 2 to 3 years to your boots.
    Especially if you walk a lot with the wading boots ie to the beats and back.
    As Mentioned, the front 2 cm of the sole and heal.

Definitely worth the effort of going to Sportmans Wharehouse.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    It is not silicone. Not sure the standard silicone will stand up to the job.
    It is SoleSaver or Sole Mate.
    You buy it from Sportmans Wharehouse. About R20 a tube.
    Applied to the right spots it will add another 2 to 3 years to your boots.
    Especially if you walk a lot with the wading boots ie to the beats and back.
    As Mentioned, the front 2 cm of the sole and heal.

Definitely worth the effort of going to Sportmans Wharehouse.
    yeah thats the stuff
    I would put it on over the toes like a toecap (thats where most of the problems were on our boots )

/d

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast