Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Novice needs help please.

Default Novice needs help please.

Goeie Naand Manne

I've been a member of Flytalk for quite a while now but due to not knowing much about flyfishing I've been very quet and observing most of the time.

Well the time has come for me to plan a yellow fish trip and this is where I will be needing your expert advice.

I am planning to do a 3 day trip starting Thursday next week. Vaal was my first choice but with the current flow rate I am not so sure anymore, What do you gentlemen think?

Another option to me would be Sterkies but I have never fished there before and I've heard the the wind can be a killer there. I also don't have a boat.

I would really appreciate some suggestions on choosing a venue where I can have once in a lifetime experience catching my very first yellow on fly.

Many thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmouth View Post

I would really appreciate some suggestions on choosing a venue where I can have once in a lifetime experience catching my very first yellow on fly.

Many thanks in advance
    Boy.....I hope you find this once in a lifetime venue....I'm sure there are about a million gazillion other yelo stalkers that want the same info
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Default Richters

Tale a drive to the Richters.
    If you need more info regarding the venue, ask Andre
    "VermoŽns is wat mens in staat is om te doen... Motivering, bepaal wat mens doen... Gesindheid bepaal HOE mens dit doen.." ¨ Lou Holtz

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Tale a drive to the Richters.
    If you need more info regarding the venue, ask Andre
    Richters might be a bit far for a guy living in Pretoria.
    Anyway, a good suggestion would be to piggy back on someone from your area that goes to the vaal regularly. Advertise that you are available, offer to provide the ride, or to share fuel, and maybe even provide the beers in exchange for a few tips. At this time of year, flow dependant, yellows are a no brainer to catch. Another isea, might be to go down to one of the public venues on the Vaal, and "steal with your eyes". Either way, you are going to have to be prepared to give a little in order to recieve a lot.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Richters is klein bietjie ver

Dankie Andre, Ek sal nog so bietjie rondvra en sien wat gebeur.

Ek wil baie graag Vaal toe gaan maar ek is nie so seker die weer gaan saamspeel nie.

Ek moet maar solank aan 'n backup plan ook moet werk

Johan

Goeie Naand Manne

I've been a member of Flytalk for quite a while now but due to not knowing much about flyfishing I've been very quet and observing most of the time.

Well the time has come for me to plan a yellow fish trip and this is where I will be needing your expert advice.

I am planning to do a 3 day trip starting Thursday next week. Vaal was my first choice but with the current flow rate I am not so sure anymore, What do you gentlemen think?

Another option to me would be Sterkies but I have never fished there before and I've heard the the wind can be a killer there. I also don't have a boat.

Many thanks in advance

I would be keen to accompany you to the vaal, I live in JHB but we could hook up and go fish together...
    I'm not addicted to fishing, I can quit anytime my wife makes me!!

So you recon the weather will hold up?

Hi Bigmouth,

Firstly welcome to the forums and congrats on your first post.

With the current flow fluctuations ( please note the L you other reprobates ) for a 3 day trip I would go to Christiana.
    There is great accommodation as well as KM's of open, public water.
    Sorry but my mind has gone blank ito the place's name.
    AAAHHH, just came to mind, Nkolo Spa, they normally hold a Bell's Festival there or thereabouts every year.
    Do a search on the Nkolo Spa and you will be connected to the appropriate threads and posts.

BTW, the Search function is on the toolbar just above the forum headers.

It is below Bloemhof so the flows will not be a problem.

PM, NC Bass, Yellowfever, for more info.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

So you recon the weather will hold up?
    That is the question... but there are spots where the flows are ok and less affected by the rain. Just TOUGH wading! But worth it!
    I'm not addicted to fishing, I can quit anytime my wife makes me!!

Quote Originally Posted by AquaBarbus View Post
    That is the question... but there are spots where the flows are ok and less affected by the rain. Just TOUGH wading! But worth it!
    Aqua, for a 3 day once in a blue moon trip, Nkolo Spa.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast