Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Building your own bamboo rod

Mario

Did you ever finish your 6'6" 4wt? I finished mine in 2008 but have never fished it. I do'nt like the fast action taper and far prefer the Garrison 201e taper on my other cane rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    No one in their right mind...
    Fortunately, the road to discovery and enlightenment is still ahead of you!

If only to enjoy one of flyfishing's rich heritages.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Mario

Did you ever finish your 6'6" 4wt? I finished mine in 2008 but have never fished it. I do'nt like the fast action taper and far prefer the Garrison 201e taper on my other cane rod.
    Yes, finished it and like the action - very nice little smallstream rod Neil. Fishes close like a dream!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Fortunately, the road to discovery and enlightenment is still ahead of you!

If only to enjoy one of flyfishing's rich heritages.
    Oh, you nostalgic old fool you....
    Yes, fly fishing heritage. I feel almost short changed by my uncaring attitude about the traditionalism of the sport. Its a pity that we live in an age of high performance and technologically advanced materials and production techniques. When i read some of the old writings, and speak to some of the old guys who relate dreamy eyed stories, I definatly feel that we have lost something in our quest for composite tools, synthesised lines, and machine milled reels.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

What line are you using on it? 4wt or 5wt? WF or DT? I cast mine with a 4wt silk line and it is too fast. Could be that the reduced line diameter of the silk line is not creating enough aerial drag and hence the casting action must be sped up to create the necessary rod loading. I will try it with a plastic line later today and see if it is better

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Oh, you nostalgic old fool you....
    Yes, fly fishing heritage. I feel almost short changed by my uncaring attitude about the traditionalism of the sport. Its a pity that we live in an age of high performance and technologically advanced materials and production techniques. When i read some of the old writings, and speak to some of the old guys who relate dreamy eyed stories, I definatly feel that we have lost something in our quest for composite tools, synthesised lines, and machine milled reels.
    It's worth reading a bit of Gierach, Andre. I enjoy his flirtation with the traditional side of the sport.

To my mind, nothing beats my ZXL's on our streams, but ocassionally I whip out the old cane and silk and really enjoy myself.

We had a similar discussion on this forum about 4 years' ago and I remember Tom Lewin chipping in and raving about cane rods.

I think Gerhard also fishes cane from time to time?

A little bit of nostalgia taken on the original stream X

Makes me want to light a pipe, tie a couple of classic flies and drink a dubble 12 year wisky with a flyfising elder

I'm always available as a prop pop!...
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

A little bit of nostalgia taken on the original stream X
    OMFHH.....how very is that??????

Makes we want to take my no-name 'boo wand off it's little piece of wall real estate above my pub and fling it about a bit...
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast