Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Rabbit Candy

Default The Rabbit Candy

The Rabbit Candy
    I first stumbled across this pattern about 8 years ago in an article written by Tom McGuane, on flyfishing in Mexico. There was only one pic of the fly, and no tying instructions, it was simply labeled: Rabbit Candy. Dead easy to tie, it is effectively the same principle as tying a Surf Candy, but using Zonker strips for the tail. I have had a huge ammount of success targeting Shad with this fly, they love it. In the tying sequence I've added plenty weight, as I normally fish the fly in the surf. Use less or no weight if required. A good tip when creating big epoxy flies is not to apply the epoxy in one go. Rather apply two coats, the first to secure the materials and then a second coat to shape the fly.

Materials:
    Hook: Mustad 34007 #1 - #2/0
    Weight: Lead wire
    Thread: White
    Tail: Zonker strips. White below, colour of choice above
    Body: Mylar Tubing and 5 minute Epoxy
    Lateral Line: Silver tinsel
    Eyes: Silver Prism Stick on

Step 1.
    Add the lead wire to weight the fly. Leave enough space behind the hook eye, and before the hook bend to allow easy tying in of the other materials.

Step 2.
    Secure the lead wraps with the thread. Apply some Super glue along the lead wraps to secure. Tie in the first Zonker strip.

Step 3.
    Tie in the second Zonker strip on top. The top Zonker strip Must be one to one and a half times the length of the hook shank. The lower zonker strip is half the length of the top strip. Whip finish and cut the thread off.

Step 4:
    Cut the Mylar tubing to the required length, and slide it over the lead wraps. Rather cut the Mylar slightly longer than required.

Step 5.
    Use the thread to tie the Mylar off behind the eye of the hook, and at the end of the lead wraps before the bend in the hook.

Step 6.
    Now the tricky bit. Very carefully cut off the excess Mylar, as close as possible to the thread wraps. Add a tiny drop of Super glue to each of the thread wraps to secure.

Step 7.
    Tie in a piece of the silver Tinsel on each side of the fly to imitate the lateral line.

Step 8.
    Apply the first coat of epoxy. Try to work the epoxy into the materials. Don't worry if the epoxy doesn't finish smoothly.

Last edited by rory; 29-11-12 at 11:45 AM.
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Step 9.
    Once the epoxy is almost dry, add the stick on eyes.

Step 10.
    Apply the second coat of epoxy to the fly. Take you time and ensure the epoxy coats the fly evenly. Rotate the fly in the vice until the epoxy sets.

Front view:

Last edited by rory; 29-11-12 at 11:46 AM.

Nice tie
    this will work well for the juvie leeries too

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Rory

That is a killer. That thing will catch Bass, LM Yellows, Kurper ( Smaller Size) and at the coast it will nail most fish.

Awesome Tie!!!!

I tell you what.....Screw Warrenton and lets hit the Coast some time. I am so hungry for a bit of Saltwater action.

Nice fly Rory! There are few materails that will breath life into a a fly as a zonker strip will.

I can imagine that the shad will go mad for this, the epoxy bit will help to make it last longer than 1 or 2 fish as well.

Tied small (up to size 2) with white or olive tail they are great offshore for Kawakawa and other pealgic species eating sprats as well.

Thanks Rory,

Great SBS!

Cheers,

Philip

Nice one Rory!

Gonna have to tie me a few for my offshore trip next month...
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Eeiisshh, Makulu Bwana Tier. I'll have 6 please for my Plett trip, end March beginning April.
    You know of course that you will be suitably recompensed.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Glad you guys like! The combination of the weight in front and the zonker gives a super darting/jigging action in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    ....I'll have 6 please for my Plett trip, end March beginning April.
    You know of course that you will be suitably recompensed.
    Sawubona Nkulu, what colours would you prefer??

Nice fly, poeth!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast