Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Saltwater baitfish patterns + tutorial

Thanks for the response Si

I would be super keen to attend a workshop, when you are in SA.

Please keep me posted

Regards
    Liam

Quote Originally Posted by PikeFFArticles View Post
    I know they don't have any dealers in South Africa so I am looking at being able to market to guys like you over there. With the differences in the exchange rate being what they are, tubes and accessories wont be cheap but I can promise you this they will be much cheaper than say if a dealer marketed them over there or if you bought them from a tackle shop,and I'll be looking at having a different price structuring for all tube products for the South African market. anyway.

I'm also looking at visiting my Oldman in Durb's in December and might run several tying workshops around the country. Maybe one in the Vaal, 2 or 3 in Durb's and a couple in Cape town if there would be any interest for that. I have several fly tying fairs I'm guest tying at in Europe this year and would like to end the year off back home for a month or so.

I'll get back to you once I know more in a week or so.

Si
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Ditto Simon - hope to catch up with you in Durbs.

Not to hijack your thread (any further), posted some pics of my flies in the "Latest flies from the vice" thread here:

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...124#post160124
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Firstly sorry If I came across as though I am trying to get business from this fantastic site.Its not my intention to, and never will to plug my shop.or try and sell my wares here.

I just know that curtain products are hard to acquire back home and that I might be able to have a solution for some chaps if needed.

I'm just glad to be able to contribute in a positive way and hope the last post I made isn't taken in the wrong context.If I do manage to find products for guys I will most certainly get hold of the administrators on here well in advance.

Sorry...it wont happen again guys!

Si
    "If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough it will sooner or later become the right fly"
    John Gierach

http://www.pikeflyfishingarticles.blogspot.com
    http://www.balticpikeflies.com

G'day lads,

I'd say that almost exclusively that I fish tube flies, especially for the offshore work I do.

With regards to getting materials for the tubes, there are literally dozens of alternatives that can be used. My personal favourite is using the Chuppa Chupp lolly sticks.

I usually have a heap of these lying around that I pass out to mates and their kids with the stipulation that I want the tubes when they are finished and to make sure they don't bite the ends!
    It is always a simple task

Weight can be added in the tying procedure.

Here is a Flashy Pilchard that I tied up for offshore work here in Sydney.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Kevin James; 08-02-10 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Better picture

Another great alternative is earbud tubes....just take the cotton wool off the ends.Also model aircraft fuel tubing is another great alternative.
    "If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough it will sooner or later become the right fly"
    John Gierach

http://www.pikeflyfishingarticles.blogspot.com
    http://www.balticpikeflies.com

Yep, good advice.

Only thing I have found with the ear bud tubes is that they are sometimes a bit small in diameter, especially if you are going to be putting in a heavy shock leader.

The aircraft tube is good though - varying thickness and strength.

I have also used tubes of copper, but the problem here is that the edges are sometimes rough and can damage the leader. Gone over to plastic tubing now and never looked back.

The Best free tubes is Bic pen refills once they have been written out
    I think it was MC's tip all the pens on my office are now "snipped"

I have used the Earbud tubes but have suffered tube collapse after applying epoxy or getting them wet so they off my list of good tubes

chuppa chups are awsome tubes and taste great too

/d
    Last edited by damage; 08-02-10 at 07:30 AM.
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2