Thread: Swakopmund/Walvis Bay fly fishing

Default Swakopmund/Walvis Bay fly fishing

Howzit Guys

Anyone ever do any fly fishing (or dropshotting for that matter) in Swakopmund and Walvis Bay area's? Specifically Swakop, at the area on the outcrop by the Lighthouse Restuarant.
    (Or anywhere else really)

What opportunities are there? (Doesn't need to be large fish...just FISH!)
    I know it's famous for Rock & Surf angling, especially a bit more North at Henties Bay, but was wondering about Swakop itself, and the fly fishing or dropshotting opportunities off the rocks, points, beaches, etc.

I don't want to fly with long surf rods, screw around with bait, etc etc...dropshot or flyfishing is ideal...but is it worth it?

Michael, the fishing up there is pretty much the same as the west coast...simply just not what it used to be. The guys don't even go to Henties so much anymore, as they only catch Hottentots fish, and sharks. The explosion of the seal population, and overfishing, has pretty much taken care of the fish stocks. Pity really.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Hi Andre

Yeah I've heard that. My neighbour and a few of his R&S mates go to Henties each year...they still catch a fair amount of big Kob, some Galjoen and Steenbras...and of course bronzies and other sharks. But then, if they hook sharks, they like it. Me, not so much...I'd rather target smaller species on light tackle and have fun that way. But yes, I think it's limited opportunities.

I know you can still get sea barbel and blacktail too...but I don't know enough about those species to know when/where/how.

The restaurant I always eat at in Swakop overlooks a big bay (Lighthouse). There's always lots of dolphins swimming about, amazing sight. And that's why I thought there MUST be fish there.

Maybe someone else can shed more light, who knows the area.

Or I'll have to stick to quad-biking on the dunes.
    The sun only sets at 8pm...so I HAVE to explore the fishing options!

Michael, the water up the West Coast is fed by the cold Benguela current which pushes from Antarctica, up to the Angolan tropics. It is rich in nutrients due to the upwelling of the nutrient rich colder water. As a result of this, fewer species exist in nutrient rich environments, as opposed to nutrient poor environments such as reefs and tropical waters which result in much higher diversity of species, therefore the food chain is much more "vertical" up the west coast, with the main primary food source being the phyto plankton, which brings the zoo plankton in huge blooms. When this happens, massive shoals of pilchard and silverside appear, and feed the seals, sea birds, dolphins and pellagic fish species.
    It has everything to do with the temerature of the water. If you get the timing right, you can have a lot of fun, but get it wrong, you will get nothing.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Hi Andre

Yeah I've heard that. My neighbour and a few of his R&S mates go to Henties each year...they still catch a fair amount of big Kob, some Galjoen and Steenbras...and of course bronzies and other sharks. But then, if they hook sharks, they like it. Me, not so much...I'd rather target smaller species on light tackle and have fun that way. But yes, I think it's limited opportunities.

I know you can still get sea barbel and blacktail too...but I don't know enough about those species to know when/where/how.

The restaurant I always eat at in Swakop overlooks a big bay (Lighthouse). There's always lots of dolphins swimming about, amazing sight. And that's why I thought there MUST be fish there.

Maybe someone else can shed more light, who knows the area.

Or I'll have to stick to quad-biking on the dunes.
    The sun only sets at 8pm...so I HAVE to explore the fishing options!
    Mike

Speak to Chris Shelton. He's planning an expedition up there shortly with his R&S buddies. You'll find him on the Sealine forum under his own name.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Mike

Speak to Chris Shelton. He's planning an expedition up there shortly with his R&S buddies. You'll find him on the Sealine forum under his own name.
    I was wondering where he had gotten to!!!????

One of my friends, did the trip to Torra Bay, over Christmas.

Fishing was superb, they caught so many fish, it was ridiculous.

Near Swakop and Walvis, think you are wasting your time, looking for smaller stuff.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Hi Michael,

The only place around Swakop that I think might be any good on Dropshot is the Area around 'Vierkant klip'. If you don't know where it is anybody in living in Swakop would be able to tell you. My Inlaws live Swakop and I am sure that they would be more than willing to take out for some fishing. My Surf rod and reel is up there and you are more than welcome to borrow it if you wanted.

Regards

Rudolf

Have not had any time to try dropshot yet...but how can this bay in town not hold fish??? It looks so damn good!!
    (Sorry poor pic quality...this was zoomed in quite a bit from a distance)

Closer zoom:

And another shot of it, from the restaurant overlooking it: