Thread: Houseboats on Kariba or Lower Zambesi

Default Houseboats on Kariba or Lower Zambesi

G'day Fella's,

Hoping someone on this forum has some info for an upcoming trip I want to put together.

Looking at getting a houseboat either in Zim's or if they have them in Zambia.
    Really keen to drift along, watching wildlife and fishing for tigers preferrably, but to be honest anything that comes along. Wanting to take SWAMBO, so must be relatively safe - tongue in cheek comment as some of the places she has been will make most blokes pucker up.
    It's either that or back to Kruger again for the wildlife, but that means no fishing really.

I have looked through old posts here, and PM'd Kevzambia as he is apparantly guiding out there but no luck with an answer so far.
    I know in the past Rhodesians looking to get money out often hired boats out and had dollars paid elsewhere. Anybody need a hand?

Possibly look at an extended visit about 2 weeks or so towards end of the year hopefully.

Any info gladly received and anything that we really need to know before coming over? Have done a bit of a search on internet, but scrappy at best.
    Feel free to PM if need be.

Cheers.

PS Prefer to do this somewhat independantly, so not really interested in tour group type travel.
    Last edited by Kevin James; 17-02-10 at 07:42 AM.

Also look at a trip to Jozini. There are a number of really decent houseboats to be had there, and the fishing is not too shabby either The wildlife is incredible too.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Awesome info thanks mate -

Had no idea about that.
    Spent heaps of time up around Pongolaland as a youngster on the way to Moz. Kosi, Sodwana and Vidal were old hunting grounds. Never fished Jozini, so that is something new.

Do you have any more info Graham mate?

I'd consider Jonzini as a last resort - it's not bad but, it's no where near as good as kariba!

That said organising a trip to zim is a mission, it's not like communicating with anywhere else in the world... They dont answer mails, cell phone calls, their websites are down etc and they have the attitude of "dont worry it'll be fine".

Have a look at the following site, it's got a lot of good info/link on lodges in the area, boat charters etc:
    http://www.wildzambezi.com/search-results.cfm?SG=55

Why not look at spending a week on the lake and a week downriver at chirundu? Fishing on that section of the river is quite special as it's part of the Urungwe safari area IIRC, has some unique species and it's only about 2 hours drive from Kariba at most. Our trip in October was a "bad" one and everyone in our group managed a tiger over 5kg's

I've never used the lodges on the Zambian side of Kariba or the river but they're more expensive, less scenic (the river on the zambian side is not all part of a conservation area) and have a closed fishing season from 1 Dec to 31 March roughly.

One last thing is to avoid going to Kariba over new years, it's the Zim equivalent of margate at that time of year
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtooth View Post
    Awesome info thanks mate -

Had no idea about that.
    Spent heaps of time up around Pongolaland as a youngster on the way to Moz. Kosi, Sodwana and Vidal were old hunting grounds. Never fished Jozini, so that is something new.

Do you have any more info Graham mate?
    One I've heard of is www.shayamanzi.co.za

But Dave's advice of getting a boat on the river is a good idea too. http://www.botswanatours.co.za/info_houseboats.html
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Cheers Jock0 for that mate.

Great info - advice about the Zambian side is exactly what KevZambia said about being quite expensive in national parks.

Looks like it's going to take a hell of a lot of planning!

Please keep info coming guys - good tips here for sure.

I see the Botswana fleet has grown. There used to be only 1 houseboat to my knowledge. The areas where they operate is great for game viewing in the dry season. You might get away with a smaller hole in your pocket doing the original Zimbabwean houseboat thing.
    Dry lines don't catch fish!

Cheers Scorpion,

I have been looking at a few things.
    Jock0 sent some awesome info to me.

I reckon Zims might be the go.