Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Strike Indicators

Default Strike Indicators

In the latest TCFF I saw an ad for a "wrap around" strike indicator,
    Has any one seen/ used these? I use the Yarn strike indicator, but I do battle if I need to move it, This looks like it would be easier, If anyone has used this new strike indicator could you share any comments, Please?

...I also saw an ad for a female urinating product??? Any comments from any one who has taken SWAMBO fishing lately. (When I saw it I thought it was some type of shoe support, until I started reading the ad.)

LMFAO!

I have noticed alot of guys are using strike indicators in the shape of little balls, these then get a toothpic wedged into them.
    They seem pretty easy to move around.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Saw both of them, but I cant say I have seen them on the water...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quite nifty, these indicators with toothpicks.
    Has a slit along the side, so you can add to or remove it from the line at any time. The toothpick keeps it tightly in place on the line and allows easy movement to adjust for depth.
    Only bugger is that the toothpick sometimes catches the tippet - especially in windy casts.
    The only indicator I use lately...
    Save our Yellows!

I have used some indicators and lately have been fishing indicatorless.

I have no problems with addinng, removing or moving them.

The ball type are also nice except for adding and removing them - unless you use the type with a slit on the side like those herman uses. The indicator putty is ok but you must put it on a know ot it moves around and is easily lost if your casting is not at it's best.

Just my 2c - I have never used the type you are refering to but i might just give it a try
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

I use the "football" type indicator. It has a slit in the side and a length of thin rubber tubing through the middle hole. It is very simple to adjust and remove if required. It also slides down the leader if you need to reel past the indicator in order to net a fish when wading in deeper water.
    Only problem is cost, R55.00 for 4 ( I normally loose at least 2 per outing)
    I am experimenting with indicatorless fishing in the shallower waters.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Those bass indicators that ones feeds the line through was nice, usuallty worked better than poly yarn. only problem is if your top eyelet is smaller than your plastic indicator like I had on my 5WT ... then you're screwed.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    I use the "football" type indicator. It has a slit in the side and a length of thin rubber tubing through the middle hole. It is very simple to adjust and remove if required. It also slides down the leader if you need to reel past the indicator in order to net a fish when wading in deeper water.
    Only problem is cost, R55.00 for 4 ( I normally loose at least 2 per outing)
    I am experimenting with indicatorless fishing in the shallower waters.

Is this the type you talk of Herman?

Quote Originally Posted by DorB View Post
    Is this the type you talk of Herman?

I use those too but they like R30 down in pretoria

I use the normal orange ball type, not the one with the slit in and thus not as easy to remove as needed. One of my mates use those and I have to get me some, as soon as mine all “disappear” I will buy me a packet, but I have been using them for 2 years and they are durable (don’t loose them either since all your flies have to be snapped off before it can be removed from tippet). Just a note – you get these in 2 sizes – a real small one that I would suggest or a larger one which is better for VERY FAST water viz. The larger one I use I have noticed to spook the odd fish or two, specially after taking a couple of fish in the same pool (slower water). Used the poly yarn before but hated it - suppose I wasn’t using it correctly. The ones Herman refer to (as far as I know) is a real “American football” shape, also get them in the normal “put through” and “slip on”, I don’t like them as much when fishing moving water since they sometimes create a small wake on the surface when the line swings down – I tend to strike instinctively at this stage (paranoia) since the indicator is doing something else then normal drift (as I was trained to identify a yellow take). Mostly I think it comes down to personal preference, try as many as possible and stick to the one you have the most confidence in. Or go the proper route and start to fish without an indicator, I for one is still too scared for that!
    Also I have to mention this – the coolest indicator I ever saw on the river was one that looked exactly like your big, round “red and white pap gooi dobbers” but on closer inspection it was actually a poly yarn indicator colored and trimmed into that shape.
    Helpful link if you want to build your own poly yarn indicator: http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbette...tors/index.php
    No one does it smaller then me!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast