Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: First Aussie catch!

Across here in Victoria, we have had a bit of an interresting start to the trout season... the floods that we had has given the dams and rivers an awesome boost, but has also flooded some of the trout farms, thus releasing heaps of trout and atlantic salmon into the rivers... should be a very good season indead!!!
    It isn't essential to my enjoyment of fishing that I catch fish, only that I know there are fish in the water.

/l ,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

If a man speaks in the middle of a forest and there is no woman around to hear him - is he still wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by arnoc View Post
    Across here in Victoria, we have had a bit of an interresting start to the trout season... the floods that we had has given the dams and rivers an awesome boost, but has also flooded some of the trout farms, thus releasing heaps of trout and atlantic salmon into the rivers... should be a very good season indead!!!
    Wish we had you rain! Dam levels are quite low in the West
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

So Renier, Cammo, moved to Mandurah 2 weeks ago. Being the nice guy I am, I took him to our local spot for his first taste of Aussie saltwater fly fishing.

His rods and reels are all in transit, so I hooked him up with my 6wt and a DI3, just in case the flow is a bit strong, and a few experimental charlies. Got to the spot and within a couple of casts he lands his first fish, not only first in Oz, but also his first saltwater species; a nice Aussie herring. Within half an hour, we landed 3 species(herring, tailor and yellowfin whiting). Not bad for a newbie. He even managed a Yellowfin Whiting, a species that has eluded me.

Took him down to the spot again for an hour session this arvo. Tailor were on the bite. I managed 10+ and he landed 5, much to the dismay of the bait fishermen around us

I jokingly put the capture of the whiting down to beginners luck, but then the bastard manages to pull another one this today :/
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Rendier View Post
    I jokingly put the capture of the whiting down to beginners luck, but then the bastard manages to pull another one this today :/
    They are an infuriating species - I've spent many days targetting them on sand flats for no result - even when you can see hundreds of them and they follow the fly. And then I caught one by accident fishing a salty bugger deep on a sand drop-off

Some guys on the east coast are getting slightly more consistent results with small poppers pulled quite fast over shallow weedbeds - like an escaping prawn.

Perhaps when I go to Perth I'm going to have to ask you to show me where the herring are Rendier - still a vacant slot there on my species list
    The highest form of existence is play.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendier View Post
    So Renier, Cammo, moved to Mandurah 2 weeks ago. Being the nice guy I am, I took him to our local spot for his first taste of Aussie saltwater fly fishing.

His rods and reels are all in transit, so I hooked him up with my 6wt and a DI3, just in case the flow is a bit strong, and a few experimental charlies. Got to the spot and within a couple of casts he lands his first fish, not only first in Oz, but also his first saltwater species; a nice Aussie herring. Within half an hour, we landed 3 species(herring, tailor and yellowfin whiting). Not bad for a newbie. He even managed a Yellowfin Whiting, a species that has eluded me.

Took him down to the spot again for an hour session this arvo. Tailor were on the bite. I managed 10+ and he landed 5, much to the dismay of the bait fishermen around us

Thank you Rendier

It was a great experience. We went down to the spot today again. Rendier decided to target "Harders" which was feeding like crazy close to our spot. He managed to false hook one and end his session of with a blue crab (Scooped with the net).

I decided to target just fish any that will bite. my favourite.

I managed to catch 6 herring, and long line release 3.
    Last edited by Cammo; 18-03-12 at 02:16 PM.
    The worst day of fishing is better that the best day at work

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4