Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: First Aussie catch!

Default First Aussie catch!

Apologies to those who've already read this on the other forum
    ===================================

After 3 months in my new home, I've finally unpacked my fly gear and went swoffing with a local. I wasn't sure what to pack, so I took an 8wt and a 7wt as a back up for some light estuary work. The night before was spent feverishly unpacking my gear, stripping off line, loading some new line and tying leaders. After 2 hours of getting the gear ready, I realised I might need some flies Well passed midnight, I finally headed to bed, with a couple of bastardized clousers (charlie/clouser combos) coming out of the vice.

I didn't pack my waders as I thought it would be nice and sunny...big was my surprise when I got to the water and there was Roger waist deep in the estuary...in waders! I pull up and the next moment, he's into a fish. Now that's how I like my fishing! Roger gives me some info on the area and what to expect. He was nice enough to introduce me to the locals: Malcolm, a 2m stingray, a couple of pelicans, a few playful dolphins and hundreds of blowies!

I kit up and head out to meet him. First cast...strip, strip, bam! Fish on...and off. Bad knot = fly lost! I was livid! Tie on a new fly and 2 casts later, I land my first Aussie species, a Herring. Not huge, put they put up a great fight. Couple of fish later and I hook into another fish, but this time the fight feels different...less head shaking and more diving. Finally get it to hand and it's a descent size Tailor(elf)! Thank goodness the 15lb tippet lasted! Those fish have fierce teeth.

After 2 hours, I drag myself to shore. Time to head back home with a BIG smile on my face

Been back twice now and it just gets better. The tailor have moved off to the ocean, but the herring's still there. Caught 20+ in a 2 hour session on Sunday. Need to get my 4wt repaired and maybe even invest in a light(2wt) salty stick for some more fun.
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Rudolph...

Awesome man! Lyk en klink baie lekker...ek is sommer jaloers.

Thanks for the report...keep 'em coming.

Mike

Lekker Bru! Good to hear you're getting some fishing done!!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Rudolph , if I may be so bold as to ask you why you went to Australia?
    Bad crime experience or unbloodybelieveble job oppertunity & lifestyle change?

Quote Originally Posted by flybum View Post
    Rudolph , if I may be so bold as to ask you why you went to Australia?
    Bad crime experience or unbloodybelieveble job oppertunity & lifestyle change?
    I had the 4 year itch Lived in London for 4 years, then moved back to SA for 4 years. After 4 years it was time for a change, so Australia was next om the list. Who knows, 4 years down the line I might move to NZ or Canada or back to SA.

We've fortunately never been affected by crime. Work is scarce in Oz, but the tradesmen are making a killing!

Lifestyle is great. I lived in Cape Town, so lifestyle there was pretty awesome as well, but here I life 500m from the beach and 1.2km from and estuary stretching 8km at it's widest. Fishing is plentiful, though shore based is not so prolific. Crabbing and diving is phenomenal. You can scuba dive from crayfish Four wheel driving on the beach is still allowed on some stretches of beach.
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Sounds like you're really getting into it Rudolf - good stuff. Are those herring what the Aussies call giant herring, or springer/skipjack as referred to in SA?
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
    Sounds like you're really getting into it Rudolf - good stuff. Are those herring what the Aussies call giant herring, or springer/skipjack as referred to in SA?
    No Kev, it's the baby brother, Western Herring or bull herring (Arripis georgiana).

Just got back from a 15 minute session after work and landed 5. No better de-stresser than fishing
    Rudolph
    Confucius

They sound pretty easy to catch. What size do they go?
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
    They sound pretty easy to catch. What size do they go?
    They can reach 40cm, but most are between 22 and 28 centimeters. It's not a true (Clupidae) herring.

They';re not the most difficult to catch if you know where to find them.
    White clouser on a steady retrieve does the trick. Some bait fisherman use berley as attractant and then fish with a green straw on a red long shank hook.
    Last edited by Rendier; 28-04-10 at 12:43 PM.
    Rudolph
    Confucius

Well done Rendier - you seem to be making the best of it.
    I've been on the other side of the island for 19 years and never caught one of those particular herring

When you get a gap try heading up to Exmouth or Dampier. I did a 6 day trip with to Dampier with Jono Shales and a couple other guys during June a few years ago - we got 39 species on fly - astonishing fishing
    The highest form of existence is play.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast