Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: First Aussie catch!

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    When you do catch a Gar, just watch out, they have big teeth and can fold that long slender body double when they try to bite you ... quite amusing really
    Yes, but only when it's your brother that's caught one
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    the halfbeaks need to be chummed and given the old "bread fly" trick.
    I found a san juan 20cm under an indicator also works the bomb for them.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Spent a lovely hour fishing this morning. It was quite windy last night, but when I got up this morning, there was not a breath of wind about. My little girl looked at me and told my wife: "When daddy looks at the weather like that, he wants to go fishing"

Took my 10ft 5wt Stealth Magnum and overlined it with 6wt Airflo Sixth Sense Di3. Used a stock standard 9ft 0x leader and tied on a sparsely tied No2 chartreuse over white clouser.

Got to the spot and it was dead calm with an outgoing tide. Donned my wader and some dive booties and started out towards the pylons. I've never cast with the 5wt, but it seemed to cast beautifully with the overline. First cast out, counted down 10 seconds and started stripping. Strip, strip, bang, VAS!!! What a fight. The fish put up quite a fight for it's size. Nice and healthy herring I thought. 2 casts later and another fish on.

Phil joined up with me about half an hour into my session. First cast, he was into a fish as well and guess what. The fish were not herring, but juvenile aussie salmon! Caught another few and after an hour headed back home with a smile on my face.

Now I need to find a sinking line for my 3wt. Light tackle is so much fun
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Baie lekker.
    Hopelik toe jy by die huis kom het vroulief, spek en eiers gereed gehad vir ontbyt.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Fantastic.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Those small salmon are great to get on light fly tackle, especially as they usually appear in pretty big shoals. In Melbs I and mates used to cruise round Port Phillip and Westernport Bays in a 'tinnie' looking for the shoals (also later in the season of the bigger salmon) - great and hectic fun and also a chance of big predators smashing into them!

Keep the reports/photos a'coming in, evocative stuff for me!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

If the juvenile salmon are so much fun you've got to join me for the oupas and oumas in Bremer.
    Bring a Compass! Its no fun if you have to eat your friends

Yesterday we celebrated Father's Day here in Oz. The weather was near perfect for fishing, with loads of boats out on the estuary. The wife and kids took a nap at midday, and I decided to head down to the bridge.

Water was calm, with an outgoing tide...very frustrating as loads of grass gets washed down to the ocean. After 40 minutes of casting, stripping, cleaning of the bloody grass, casting, stripping and cleaning, I had enough. I just let the fly drop and decided to call it a day. On the drop I felt a bump..strike, and we're on! Fighting was a bit tricky with the grass coming down..adds weight to the fish

Landed a nice juvenile tailor and within 3 more casts had another.

Ended the hour session with 2 tailor, a herring and a manna crab - foul hooked, but it counts
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Go9od stuff, keep them a'coming in!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Flyrodders spent the weekend camping at Logue Brook Dam. It's only an hours drive for me, so Roger and I drove down for the day.

Got to Logue Brook and the guys who made it down from Perth actually managed to set up camp in the dark

It was decided that Logue Brook wouldn't fish well, so we headed further south to Harvey Dam, where Bellie caught a few on Friday. I was not sure what to expect, except that it's a HUGE expanse of water. Steve and Tony took us to a good looking spot. We started rigging up and I decided to fish of the v-boat. This was the first time many of them saw one, being a mainly saltwater club.

Fishing started off slowly. The barometer dropped as we arrived and a few showers kept things wet and cold. I kicked into a fishy looking spot and cast out a 3-fly rig, brown fritz, black woolly bugger with dumbbell eyes and a flashback nymph on the point, on a slow sinking intermediate line.

No takes for the first hour or so with a few fly changes and a line change down to a Di3. Got round to a small inlet and first cast I land my first Aussie Rainbow. I expected it to be bigger, but nonetheless it was fun to land the first fish.

I moved on to where the rest of the club were fishing off the bank as they reported a few rises as they arrived. A few casts later, and I am into my first redfin perch. The takes were subtle at first, but when I changed down to size 14 and 16 CDC nymphs, things got a lot more aggressive.

After 5 hours out on the water, I decided to call it a day, with 1 trout and 6 perch in the bag. The rest of the guys struggled as well, with a total of 7 trout and 12 perch being landed between 6 guys, in the morning session. Roger and I headed back home as the guys went back to camp. Great day out in the country.
    Rudolph
    Confucius

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast