Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Sage TCX 590-4 completed

Mike, that is absolutely beautiful, justice done to a still water casting machine!!
    Fisherman - We're all born honest but we soon get over it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    Mike, that is absolutely beautiful, justice done to a still water casting machine!!
    Thanks Paul! Now if only I could get my deer-hair-spinning skills up to your level...I'd be happy...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Thanks Paul! Now if only I could get my deer-hair-spinning skills up to your level...I'd be happy...
    Tell me about it. I still battle with muddlers and DDD's. I need Paul to give me a lesson sometime.

That rod looks pretty epic! The finish is sooooo perfect.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

that is almost 2 pretty 2 fish with.awesum stuff mike.love the colours...
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Thanks guys! Appreciate the positive comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    Incidently Paul, that deer-hair muddler in the one pic, is from the time you came and demo'd it at the Guild! I haven't fished it yet.

micheal,have you ever used those colours against a darker blank?
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    micheal,have you ever used those colours against a darker blank?
    Not the Goldenrod thread colour, no. On the Z-Axis blanks I use Gold, which is a little darker, but still a "light" colour. All the lighter coloured threads go a lot more "translucent" than the darker colour threads.

This is Goldenrod thread, bare....top row, extreme right...you can see it's bright yellow. But once finish is applied, it darkens and goes translucent, as you can see on the pics on the first page of this thread.
    Then Gold is bottom row, just to the right of the white spool. That's what I use on the Z-Axis blanks. Also darkens and goes translucent.

Here's a pic of the Z-Axis blank, with Gold thread: (After finish, and before finish was applied, the pic on the right)

And here's the TCX blank, with Goldenrod thread: (After finish...I didn't take a pic of before finish was applied, unfortunetely)

This is what a darker thread does, on a darker blank. See the thread does not go as translucent. If you use black thread, on a grey or black blank, you won't see the guide feet at all.

So the "norm" is most guys do light wraps on light coloured blanks, or dark wraps on light colour blanks, or darker wraps on darker coloured blanks. There's not many guys I have seen do a light coloured thread wrap on a dark colour blank....i.e. use Gold or so on a black or dark blue blank. I certainly have not done it yet, but it may be worth a shot.

Something like this: (This is the work of a rod builder called "Vlad", from Minnesota in the USA. Heavy contrast in colours, but I think it looks DAMN nice! One just has to experiment. It's really un-usual, but looks great in my opinion. He also managed to match up the reel seat colour perfectly)

I'll find some more examples, and post them.
    Last edited by Michael; 05-05-10 at 06:39 PM.

Yeah, flippin impressive. Thats a real skill.... Looks better than a factory build.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I'm battling to find some rods, where they used for example: Gold or Goldenrod, or Sunburst, yellow, etc thread...on a Black, dark blue, dark brown, dark green, etc blank.
    There are some, but they all applied CP (colour preserver) so the thread retains it's colour. So it doesn't darken slightly, or go translucent.
    I'd like to see some where they did not apply preserver, so the thread goes translucent.

With CP applied, this is what it looks like:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast