Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Gutting yellowfish and eating them

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Bet she wants a clean house though, with clean water etc etc....
    If you watched 50/50 last night and come from Jozi you should be worried, really worried!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Default 50/50

i didnt watch. Does anyone know if it gets repeated?
    If not, what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    If you watched 50/50 last night and come from Jozi you should be worried, really worried!!
    Fill us in!!
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Really worrying!!! With all the rain we had up in Gauteng this year the water table has risen considerably and there are actually acid mine water already seeping through at various old mining sites.

Here is the 50/50 transcript:

http://tinyurl.com/3yd4lus
    Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform

Quote Originally Posted by Saloon 2000 View Post
    Really worrying!!! With all the rain we had up in Gauteng this year the water table has risen considerably and there are actually acid mine water already seeping through at various old mining sites.

Here is the 50/50 transcript:

http://tinyurl.com/3yd4lus
    This is scary stuff! I actually work in Grootvlei and stay in Heidelberg, where the Blesbokspruit travels through... I get so angry when I see how society is degrading! There is no consideration for anyone else and the consequences which are "so called" in place for those who do wrong are not enforced... Corruption and below the table payments......

I watched part of it and the gist of it is simply that the groundwater streaming into the abandoned and operational mining tunnels is very acid and is disolving heavy metals on its way up to the surface at a rate of 1 meter per day. Currently this witches brew is being kept at bay by one deep level pumping station (750M down) in a bankrupt mine. When that pump station goes poof, so does the entire central Gauteng water supply and we are staring one MOERSE catastrophy in the face. It would qualify as a disaster in any language, and I am not in the least convinced that Government, big business or any other party whose interest stretches beyond mere survival is either equiped or interrested in dealing with it in a pro active way. So put your homes in the market and buy a ticket to some other part of the country because unless someone catches a wakeup now, you are living in a radioactive wasteland that would be uninhabitable within the next 10 years. I hope I am wrong but it has been proven over and over again that the profit motive is an extremely effective solvent for morality, responsibility and sanity a la BP, Enron, asbestos mines, Thor chemicals and so on, because I am yet to see an organisation that wont screw up the environment for profit. Sorry but it seems like when it comes to our actual survival as a species, we are well on the way to making ourselves extinct and arguing the contrary every step of the way. So the question is, what can we DO about it.
    wat weet 'n mol van kaas

There we where, 10 against a thousand and boy did we get F@ked up, all 1000 of us

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person

Isnt it ironic, we want to save the planet, should we not be saving ourselves. Btw did someone tell you your fuze is lit.

I suppose we are slightly off the topic of keeping fish or not, but Windnot, that is the summary right there! Never mind fish and aquatic life or birds..but this will start affecting us on a massive scale...When that pump konks out, well I'm not sure what will be able to solve the problem..

What was an eye opener is that the combined volume of the man made spaces underground is larger than the volume of Lake Kariba. and eventually they will all be filled with water. Water finding an easy way to the surface.
    wat weet 'n mol van kaas

There we where, 10 against a thousand and boy did we get F@ked up, all 1000 of us

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person

Isnt it ironic, we want to save the planet, should we not be saving ourselves. Btw did someone tell you your fuze is lit.

Windknot, you are speaking pure truth now.

its up to us as individuals in the end as corporate multinationals will never take care of the environment unless we send the proper signals. We need to demand as humans these things. we need to stop our overconsuming ways which lead to this greed. we need to make care for the earth profitable somehow. we need to make it make sense for people, but all we think about these days is money, we don't factor in non-monetary benefits like having a better cleaner life.

on a more individual level, make choices every day which will signal to the man what you'd like to see.

Shop with your own bag. never drink bottled water. don't buy expensive bullshit you don't need like jewelry and high end Mercedes cars. repair things rather than replace. reuse things rather than recycle. compost rather than buy fertilizer. grow your own greens and veggies. walk or ride a bike or take public transport. don't drive so damn much. pay a little more for local goods produced with more care and love rather than buy cheap chinese imported crap, in the end you will save. Minimize plastics of all types. take a shorter shower, or less of them. wear your clothes more often than once.

basically consider the next 5 steps of the process of your choice, not just what happens now and today. think about where your plastic shit ends up when you toss it out. think of how much energy and money you could save by walking to the shop instead of driving, not to mention the added benefit of excersize and general well being of being outdoors. factor in true costs such as environmental degradation, cost of replacements, whether or not you have supported a corrupt company or government with your actions, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I suppose we are slightly off the topic of keeping fish or not, but Windnot, that is the summary right there! Never mind fish and aquatic life or birds..but this will start affecting us on a massive scale...When that pump konks out, well I'm not sure what will be able to solve the problem..
    I posted it here specifically, as keeping a few indigenous yellows sorta pales into comparison, doesn't it??
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast