Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Gutting yellowfish and eating them

Mario I had to be carefull about how I said my piece, but there are often that glaring blindness to the real threats that no amount of poaching or individual bad behaviour can compare to. Often these atrocities are commited in our names by people who share our circles, people whose businesses we support by buying their products, owning their shares and ultimately making the very lives we live possible. That is why I am quite cynical about our ability to stop this juggernaut in the station. One of the experts made an observation based on a well known quote of Uncle Albert that goes roughly" the significant problems of today cannot be solved at the same level of thinking that created them". What he was saying was that more than a century of brilliant engineers funded by unimaginable greed created the problem, who or how are we to resolve it. All I can say is " Hier kom K@K"
    wat weet 'n mol van kaas

There we where, 10 against a thousand and boy did we get F@ked up, all 1000 of us

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person

Isnt it ironic, we want to save the planet, should we not be saving ourselves. Btw did someone tell you your fuze is lit.

Quote Originally Posted by windknot View Post
    Mario I had to be carefull about how I said my piece, but there are often that glaring blindness to the real threats that no amount of poaching or individual bad behaviour can compare to. Often these atrocities are commited in our names by people who share our circles, people whose businesses we support by buying their products, owning their shares and ultimately making the very lives we live possible. That is why I am quite cynical about our ability to stop this juggernaut in the station. One of the experts made an observation based on a well known quote of Uncle Albert that goes roughly" the significant problems of today cannot be solved at the same level of thinking that created them". What he was saying was that more than a century of brilliant engineers funded by unimaginable greed created the problem, who or how are we to resolve it. All I can say is " Hier kom K@K"
    Point here is, if they screw the water up, the fish will die anyway ...
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Point here is, if they screw the water up, the fish will die anyway ...
    and eventually so will we. remember those food pyramids from grade school? start removing the bottom and eventually the top collapses

Quote Originally Posted by FishZ View Post
    and eventually so will we. remember those food pyramids from grade school? start removing the bottom and eventually the top collapses
    We are not indigenous, so who would care?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    I posted it here specifically, as keeping a few indigenous yellows sorta pales into comparison, doesn't it??
    Not having a go..I agree. Just mentioned it in case people thought we were diverting.. But it fit's the thread just fine!
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Quote Originally Posted by FishZ View Post
    Shop with your own bag.
    I believe these big super stores should stop making plastic packets altogether..They're just bad news.. Issue people with a bag of some sort and let them use that over an over again.. Manufacturing of plastic bags, just encourages laziness as it is easy just to buy one quick.. Plastic packets are a terrible thing!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I believe these big super stores should stop making plastic packets altogether..They're just bad news.. Issue people with a bag of some sort and let them use that over an over again.. Manufacturing of plastic bags, just encourages laziness as it is easy just to buy one quick.. Plastic packets are a terrible thing!!
    I wish the cashiers would give you the option whether you want a receipt or not after paying for groceries. As soon as I walk out of a store I throw my receipt in the bin by the door. All purchases under R100-00 people must have a choice whether they want a receipt or not.
    People buying cigarettes should not be given a receipt in order to make up for the stompies they are going to throw on the ground

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I think we all agree, but things like plastic bags and human waste in the rivers are really only superficial and rather easily dealt with. Billions of cubic metres of radio active heavy metal poluted water sitting 1000 metres below the surface rising at a rate of 1 meter per day could easily escape notice until its too late. This could concievably turn the economic heartland of this country and the continent into an uninhabitable wasteland for hundreds of years. Big business has for years let bunny huggers divert our attention from the true threats to the environment, the very things that could eventually make this planet uninhabitable and its not plastic bags, or turds in the river water. Its mercury in the sea, lead , acid mine drainage, oil pollution , acidification of the oceans, stripping of the forrests, dredging river beds, billions of tons of carbon, chlorine, methane pumped into the atmosphere. The Russians, Chinese and Americans are rubbing their palms at the prospect of an ice free arctic, a result of global warming. More oil, minerals and gas to exploit. I am sounding like a doomsayer, but I dont like the fact that the consequences of our current activities are being ignored in favour of the persuit of profit. We are burning this candle at both ends and someone is trying to burn the middle as well.
    wat weet 'n mol van kaas

There we where, 10 against a thousand and boy did we get F@ked up, all 1000 of us

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person

Isnt it ironic, we want to save the planet, should we not be saving ourselves. Btw did someone tell you your fuze is lit.

I agree with all of the above, but plastic and like you said till slips are smaller things which are easily dealt with. How many times do you notice people inconsiderately throwing their rubbishe wherever suits them.. If they are not issued with plastic packets, that is one less thing they cannot dispose of in our parks, neighbourhoods and river systems.. These are things which we as the general public have more control over.. many people are absent minded and don't see the consequences of even littering.. The less they issued with, the less littering they can do..

Money is evil..The more some people make, the less they inclined to think ofothers and the environment... What they fail to realise, is that there is only one earth and maybe not a solution to every problem, so while they are here, look after it... For some, if they are not directly affected, then why bother.. Pretty damn sad!!

It does come down to thi stuff, and all of the above are great observations. One way to make corporates feel the enviro impact is to actually factor environmental costs into their costs and require them to pay for the cleanup, but this cost is never factored.

we are essential borrowing from earth with no intention of ever repaying. this is a horrible habit. sure it has allowed mass farming, conveyor belts, and huge factories capable of producing tons of unnecessary thing in a day, but who needs all that shit anyway? all it has done is increased the population and wear and tear on earth. why is growth and increase the goal? what good does it truely do? if you are able to stay warm, fed, medicated and also have some time for fun, what more does a human need? seriously, what more do we frickin need? work is good, its healthy, it prevents laziness. work for what you need.

If we are as superior as we feel like as humans, then we need to face the facts. we are not so enlightened as to realize growth is not sustainable by its very nature. growth is not a viable goal, its parasitic. there must be a balance somewhere and we are tilted far to one side.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast