Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Gutting yellowfish and eating them

Quote Originally Posted by FishZ View Post
    It does come down to thi stuff, and all of the above are great observations. One way to make corporates feel the enviro impact is to actually factor environmental costs into their costs and require them to pay for the cleanup, but this cost is never factored.

we are essential borrowing from earth with no intention of ever repaying. this is a horrible habit. sure it has allowed mass farming, conveyor belts, and huge factories capable of producing tons of unnecessary thing in a day, but who needs all that shit anyway? all it has done is increased the population and wear and tear on earth. why is growth and increase the goal? what good does it truely do? if you are able to stay warm, fed, medicated and also have some time for fun, what more does a human need? seriously, what more do we frickin need? work is good, its healthy, it prevents laziness. work for what you need.

If we are as superior as we feel like as humans, then we need to face the facts. we are not so enlightened as to realize growth is not sustainable by its very nature. growth is not a viable goal, its parasitic. there must be a balance somewhere and we are tilted far to one side.
    This reminds me of an old Billy Connely skit about the global population crisis...

"You eat someone I dont like, and I'll eat someone you dont like.. that way we halve the worlds population overnight.
    Then we can eat the homeless, and once we are done we can eat the prisoners... then we can say oh shit! we should have put the homeless in the prisons"

Maybe not the solution but hey its a good start
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Angry

There goes another F**KING thread in sy moer in...

Mario...maybe gutting and treating yellowfish like playthings pales into comparison to the water crisis shown on 50/50 (and on Carte Blanche a month ago, for those who have DSTV), but I suppose ALL fly fishing matters and wildlife conservation matters pale into comparison too, if you think about it! So f**** what?? If that's the case, we would have nothing to talk about really...
    Please...don't talk about gutting yellowfish, saving our sea fisheries, catch and release, or anything for that matter...as it all pales into comparison.............bla bla bla
    Last edited by Michael; 08-06-10 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Mario...maybe gutting and treating yellowfish like playthings pales into comparison to the water crisis shown on 50/50 (and on Carte Blanche a month ago, for those who have DSTV), but I suppose ALL fly fishing matters and wildlife conservation matters pale into comparison too, if you think about it! So f**** what?? If that's the case, we would have nothing to talk about really...
    Please...don't talk about gutting yellowfish, saving our sea fisheries, catch and release, or anything for that matter...as it all pales into comparison.............bla bla bla
    Jeez Michael, you been drinking the Vaal water again?. Lucky the stars are out tonight...
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

So sorry - let's go save those yellowfish now.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Mario...maybe gutting and treating yellowfish like playthings pales in...

But aren't yellowfish playthings? Those people who gutted them treated them as food - us noble fly fishermen who use hooks to drag them by the lip and boasts about landing them on a 3wt, hold our rods horizontal for maximum pressure and then triumphantly weigh them before releasing them half dead. That my friend is treating them as playthings.

Ha ha... Well, that's what I said yesterday..Aren't we going off the topic! Anyway, wasn't keen to start a boxing match!!
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    But aren't yellowfish playthings? Those people who gutted them treated them as food - us noble fly fishermen who use hooks to drag them by the lip and boasts about landing them on a 3wt, hold our rods horizontal for maximum pressure and then triumphantly weigh them before releasing them half dead. That my friend is treating them as playthings.
    So what do you suggest... We stop fishing or the other alternative is we take everything we catch??

I think not...

I suggest to stop being pedantic about things. If fish are kept legally for the pot then so be it. If someone wants to publish a book on how to fillet fish humanely then so be it.
    Fill in the correct word:
    Peter a) played/ b) respected the fish untill it was tired before landing it.

Playthings none the less

I agree with that.. If "rules" are in place which state that certain fish are endangered, and they are aware of this, then that should be respected.. If not, then one or two for the pot would not be a problem with me.. If people take what they need it's fine, but often greed get's the better of them, and they don't want to leave fish for another day.

Fully agree with you.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast