Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Gutting yellowfish and eating them

Michael, just remember, our issues are the big issues in the long run. Saving sea fisheries is the same battle as saving us. its all the same battle with the same players. it all comes down to ethics. its all connected in so many ways you'd never think of. like the blanket.

Ok, everybody that responded to this thread made good points. I tend to agree with Mike that this thread was started to discuss a smaller issue not save the earth but to discuss wether it is right to keep a couple of yellows for the pot or not. The fact is the contamination of water is a far greater threat, but not realy the issue this thread was started for although very relevant to the yellowfish population.

My 2 cents with regard to keeping yellows is to stay within the law. I have seen people in need of fish to survive build "krale" in the Orange and they are killing more than a hundred muddies and yellows a day at one spot. Is this fair? On the one side they need the money to survive, they work hard to get the fish and they sell it in the local township and feed hungry people including their own families. This certainly does not have a huge impact on the yellowfish population, but if everybody kills fish like this it certainly will.

As far as I am concerned, these people should not be alowed to catch these fish in such big quantities and this should be regulated. Recreational fisherman doesn't take as much fish at a time, but I have seen some guys keep a whole net full of fish and I doubt that it is for eating, its more a mindset problem. Flyfisherman seldom keep any yellows and I think the problem does not realy lie with them, but rather with baities.

On our properties we registered as conservation areas and all people including farmworkers need to practice catch and release when a yellow is caught. The farmworkers now target only barbel and carp and still get the fish they need. Its certainly not wrong to keep one or two yellows, but I'd much rather have it returned properly to fight another day. I think the main issue is educating people about catch and release.

Quote Originally Posted by FishZ View Post
    Michael, just remember, our issues are the big issues in the long run. Saving sea fisheries is the same battle as saving us. its all the same battle with the same players. it all comes down to ethics. its all connected in so many ways you'd never think of. like the blanket.
    I think, what Mike is trying to point out is that one should start another thread to discuss these other issues... my 2 cents..
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I think, what Mike is trying to point out is that one should start another thread to discuss these other issues... my 2 cents..
    Get an Admin or Mod to move them, the posts have unfortunately now already been posted here.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

But do you think rotenone is the answer

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5