Page 6 of 60 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: its largie time...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Some experimenting has taken place. Got a bit of advice from Mike, and tried making the top of the flies slightly darker, using olive and black.. Used deer hair for the heads...

Attached are some pics..hope you like! Open to comments..

Really need to get some batteries for the camera..Took these photos with a cellphone, so the light isn't great...
    Lekker paterns there Ryan, I would just tie a couple with the same colour combinations in lighter shades. The ones you posted should work great in dirty water and late in the afternoon when light is fading. I'm hitting the Orange on Sunday and hope to get a LM or 2 but with the cold front coming through it might just be casting practice?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvd View Post
    Lekker paterns there Ryan, I would just tie a couple with the same colour combinations in lighter shades. The ones you posted should work great in dirty water and late in the afternoon when light is fading. I'm hitting the Orange on Sunday and hope to get a LM or 2 but with the cold front coming through it might just be casting practice?
    Lakka.. I want to tie one or two in a lighter shade and then also some really dark ones with just a white belly. I have tied them darker specifically for the dirty water though..

Cheers!
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Just a repost of the pic earlier..better view..

Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post
    G taking a tumble in the process and confirming that the water was still pretty chilly . Then we paddled some more
    Ha ha...Nice and frosty...

Mike and myself are going to try soon. Hopefully all the influencing factors will come together like our last trip..3 largies, one weighing 4 kg....

One thing that can make or break a hunt is the barometric pressure...sudden drop...eish...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

I will be on the water LATE Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday; not for LM - but might make a few casts for them on Tuesday afternoon as the sun goes down...

I will report back on clarity and temp and general activity afterwards.

Anybody else on the water on Wednesday, below Parys?

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    One thing that can make or break a hunt is the barometric pressure...sudden drop...eish...
    All about stable conditions..Even if there is a sudden drop in temperature below that of the days prior, it will affect your fishing...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Ha ha...Nice and frosty...
    And it WAS cold... I was so traumatised by how hard that day was I had to take the Monday off... Things to remember for the next trip... WADING BOOTS, BREATH.WADERS and TROLLING MOTOR... Also when moving through the trees and inlets watch out for your rod tips.. We were on the water for like 5min and almost broke both our rods..

All in all it was still a great experience!!!

Default First Largie Trip

So i have been invited to go on my first largie trip. This will be the first time that i will be targeting them exlusively. Now i have read up on flies for first timers etc but what i want to know is what hook to use? Much has been said on the sizes but what make, brand, spec etc do i need to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    So i have been invited to go on my first largie trip. This will be the first time that i will be targeting them exlusively. Now i have read up on flies for first timers etc but what i want to know is what hook to use? Much has been said on the sizes but what make, brand, spec etc do i need to use?
    There is always going to be various opinions, but the popular hook is the Gamakatsu B10S.. Below are two patterns I recently tied. The olive pattern is tied on the Gamakatsu B10S and the ghosty pattern is tied on a Mustad or VMC van der merwe hook. What I like about the van der merwe hook is it drops off nicely on the bend and helps with the swimming of the fly. It also has a nice gap especially if you tying with the bead on the underside of your shank.. Hope this helps!

Page 6 of 60 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 ... LastLast