Page 7 of 60 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: its largie time...

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Mike and myself are going to try soon. Hopefully all the influencing factors will come together like our last trip..3 largies, one weighing 4 kg....

One thing that can make or break a hunt is the barometric pressure...sudden drop...eish...
    4KG is a very nice catch, nice going Shammers.

Quote Originally Posted by troutmaster View Post
    I will be on the water LATE Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday; not for LM - but might make a few casts for them on Tuesday afternoon as the sun goes down...

I will report back on clarity and temp and general activity afterwards.

Anybody else on the water on Wednesday, below Parys?
    How did it go Barend??

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    How did it go Barend??

DAVE
    Hi Dave,

Check the last 2 pages of the 'Vaal River Update' thread - did report back, even some pics of the COLD...

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...670#post167670

SUMMARY: FISH == 0;
    EXCELLENT BUDDY, CHATTING, BOOZE AND NATURE == CHECK

Will do it gain any day... next trip(s) are on the cards and dates are being set... hopefully more fish with the upcoming LM ONLY trip.

Wish I could make some time for a largie trip before summer kicks in...
    Something I noticed from all the baitfish imitations & streamer pics posted in this thread is that the hooks are pointing downwards.
    About 2 years ago I started tying these with the dumbells on the opposite side, causing the hook to swim pointing upwards, therefore no need for a weedguard.
    I've been losing much fewer flies due to snags and getting a better hookup rate.
    Save our Yellows!

Quote Originally Posted by NCBass View Post
    ... causing the hook to swim pointing upwards, therefore no need for a weedguard.
    Ja and no on that one ... you still get stuck with proper dumbells especially when fishing across currents into structuce ... specifically ... channels in between rocks, but then you have to fish deep enough to hit it.

Though the B10S was staple a few year back, these days there are better hooks for Largie flies than the B10S, one bend open on a B10S and you may as well chuck it away, they are to weak to adjust and keep on using, I've also had many many many B10S break on the shank when getting stuck on a rock, fo my money I should be able to pull harder on a hook with 13lb Fluoro before it bends or breaks.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Ja and no on that one ... you still get stuck with proper dumbells especially when fishing across currents into structuce ... specifically ... channels in between rocks, but then you have to fish deep enough to hit it.

Though the B10S was staple a few year back, these days there are better hooks for Largie flies than the B10S, one bend open on a B10S and you may as well chuck it away, they are to weak to adjust and keep on using, I've also had many many many B10S break on the shank when getting stuck on a rock, fo my money I should be able to pull harder on a hook with 13lb Fluoro before it bends or breaks.
    So what hooks would you recomend?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    So what hooks would you recomend?
    Check out those van der merwe hooks.. they a winner!
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Quote Originally Posted by NCBass View Post
    Wish I could make some time for a largie trip before summer kicks in...
    Something I noticed from all the baitfish imitations & streamer pics posted in this thread is that the hooks are pointing downwards.
    About 2 years ago I started tying these with the dumbells on the opposite side, causing the hook to swim pointing upwards, therefore no need for a weedguard.
    I've been losing much fewer flies due to snags and getting a better hookup rate.
    I tell you what, that weed gaurd is a must and such a pleasure, for me, I like the hook riding down, sounds silly, but it looks better to me. I have been saved by that weed gaurd plenty of times. Every time I have presented the fly on top of hyacinth or in the sticks, literally, the fly simply bumps over or around the nasties and softly plops into the water…everytime a coconut.

Plus it is really easy to tie in.

My personal preference actually.
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    I tell you what, that weed gaurd is a must and such a pleasure, for me, I like the hook riding down, sounds silly, but it looks better to me. I have been saved by that weed gaurd plenty of times. Every time I have presented the fly on top of hyacinth or in the sticks, literally, the fly simply bumps over or around the nasties and softly plops into the water…everytime a coconut.

Plus it is really easy to tie in.

My personal preference actually.
    I agree with this... The other advantage of having the hook ride down is you better your chances of hook up as you'll more than likely hook the fish in the softer part of it's mouth as opposed to the top which is a lot harder..especially for largies! my 2 cents!

Alright peeps...who is hiding all the largies.. So has anyone had any kuck lately? The fishing seems to be proving difficult..

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Alright peeps...who is hiding all the largies.. So has anyone had any kuck lately? The fishing seems to be proving difficult..
    he he Ryan...you could call it "kuck"...check what you typed
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Page 7 of 60 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 ... LastLast