Thread: The evolution of fish.

Default The evolution of fish.

Seeing that there is so much B/S about the evolution of fish, I have asked a scientist friend of mine to do a basic tree of evolution. will post soon
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Seeing that there is so much B/S about the evolution of fish, I have asked a scientist friend of mine to do a basic tree of evolution. will post soon
    Is he also from the Czech Republic, Korrie?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Is he also from the Czech Republic, Korrie?
    No Michael
    He is from Cape Town.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Hey Korrie,

I'd be very keen to see this please ...

... providing he Czech'ed his facts

(seriously, would love to see it when you get it)
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Funny one,
    Korrie Broos

If it reads anything like this please ask your friend to translate it into English.

Class Agnatha or Cephalaspidomorphi, the jawless fishes

Subclass (or order) Cyclostomata, the lampreys and hagfishes.

(In certain classifications, the lampreys and hagfishes are each considered separate superclasses: Cephalaspidomorphi and Pteraspidomorphi, respectively.)

Class Chondrichthyes, the cartilaginous-skeleton fishes

Subclass Holocephali, the chimaeras, or ratfishes

Subclass Elasmobranchii, the sharks, skates, and rays

Class Osteichthyes, the bony fishes

Subclass (or order) Crossopterygii, the coelacanth

Subclass (or order) Dipnoi or Dipneusti, the lungfishes

(In some classifications, the above two subclasses are treated as orders of a single subclass, the Choanichthyes or Sarcopterygii, the lobe-finned fishes.)

Subclass Actinopterygii, the ray-finned fishes

Infraclass (or superorder) Chondrostei, the primitive ray-finned bony fishes: sturgeons, paddlefish, and bichirs

(In some classifications, the bichirs are placed in a subclass of their own, the Brachiopterygii.)

Infraclass (or superorder) Holostei or Neopterygii, the intermediate ray-finned fishes: gars and the bowfin

(In certain classifications, the gars are treated as a separate superorder, the Ginglymodi. The term Ginglymodi also has been used to designate the gars as an order, but this term has been replaced at the ordinal level by the term Lepisosteiformes; orders are now indicated by the ending -formes.)

Infraclass (or superorder) Teleostei or Neopterygii, the advanced bony fishes: herring, salmon, perch.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Korrie
    I'm afraid a "scientist" isn't good enough. You should be looking for a fish taxonomist or geneticist. And you can just put one together, as alot has to do with comparisons of DNA sequences of various fish species. Only based on this can a phylogenetic tree be constructed. Quite a bit of work.

Unless of course such a tree already exists and he's just passing it on to you.