Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 day fly fishing odyssey in Exmouth, WA

Default 10 day fly fishing odyssey in Exmouth, WA

I recently had 2 good friends, Liam Abel and Jeremy Stewart fly out to come visit me for 10 days of fishing and catching up in Exmouth Western Australia. Liam and Jeremy went to school together at St Andrews in Grahamstown and have spent years fishing for trout and yellows together.

Liam and I met some 25 years ago at Umngazi in the Transkei where we did the hard yards as kids - casting for hours on end for zilch! Something we as South Africans have become quite used to, but this makes for a fantastic foundation for being able to cast. Bloody hell South Africans can cast man!! All the saffas that I know can all chuck a good line, Liam and Jeremy included.

Liam flew in from London while Jeremy flew in from Johannesburg - good mates and good fisherman who are both happy to fly to the other side of the world to catch up with a mate and to try their hand at something slightly different to what their used to.

Straight off the plane, rigged the rods, dropped the boat into the water and off we go looking for some speedy fun - tuna. 10 mins out and we see birds working, the boys eyes popping out of their heads as we approach a school of tuna busting bait on the surgface. Jeremy popped his tuna cherry with a mac tuna on the third cast, Liam followed that with a longtail on his first cast!!

The tuna were so much fun .... we spent a lot of time chasing them around the Gulf in almost perfect conditions ... here's a sequence of one of Jeremy's fish ...

The main highlight of the trip was making the 40km run across the Gulf to sight fish the flats where we stayed for 3 days on the back of a mate's mothership with my boat tied up alongside. Just the three of us fishing remote waters all on our own ... how much fun can fly fishing actually be ...

Crusing the shallows spotting individual fish and taking shots at them ... if you can consistently cast far, on target and with as few false casts as possible, you will catch fish.

Close range fishing amongst dead tree stumps and mangroves for metre long queenfish and golden trevally, pull as hard as you possibly can without busting the fish off or snapping some gear.

No baked beans, de-hydrated mush and rice dinner for us thanks .... we're dining in style. The tuna provided plenty of fresh sashimi and tuna steaks for the bbq ...

.... with freshly caught mud crabs as backup

aahh, another tough day in WA ..

So after 10 days, the guys have headed home with slightly less flies, one missing fly line, a couple of line burns, some ridiculously patchy suntans and a whole lot of learning under their belts. But you just can't get the feeling that after 10 days, we were only just scratching the surface and the guys were getting into the swing of things .... I guess that's the way it goes when time is limited.

Happy fishing and well done to my mates ... I look forward to seeing you out here again, you know where I'll be ...

4. Default

Wow! Great pics and report....

Thanks for sharing, Jono!
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

awesome report.

thanks for that.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

well done guys

fantastic photos as well.

Yummy

I especially like the sequence shots ... you should do more of those ... with more pics in the sequence.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Great report Jono. Couple of the WA Flyrodders are heading up to Exmouth in the next couple of weeks for boneheads. Next year I'll join them
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Nice report Jono. How long have you been up there for now, and how long are you planning on staying?
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Fantastic report thank you Jono. Really inspirational to see. Makes me wonder if I should change my mind about Maldives trip in November instead of visiting my girlfriends dad in Oz in December...I suppose at least this way I dont have to be deceptive about my intentions for the trip!!

I love reading those reports. Please keep them coming.
    "Wilt thou then forget that on the banks of this delightful stream we stood together; and that I, so long a worshiper of Nature, hither came unwearied in that service"

William Wordsworth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast