View Poll Results: Please select the species you have caught

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Only rainbow trout

41 28.87%
  • Only brown trout

0 0%
  • Both rainbow and brown trout (less that 10 brown)

37 26.06%
  • Both rainbow and brown trout (10 or more brown)

59 41.55%
  • I don’t catch sissy fish like trout

5 3.52%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Trout species (rainbow and brown)

Lol nice one Andre - its friday so we're allowed to stir

Up until two weeks ago I would have had to go with option 3 but I voted option 4 (yesterday I think) when I saw this post resurface. In my quest to vote option 4, I took the "high road", quite literally, and ducked off to the Bushmans river for four days of casting up stream dries to sighted fish, with the exception of one taken on a nymph

Here are a few random pics, I still owe Jank and Wazzy a decent report. Be patient guys its in the pipeline...

After three days of fishing the pool above Bannermans Bridge I eventually took a 12 incher in the fading light on one of Darryl's bling cdc mayflies. Made my whole trip! As soon as I get the pic of the decent fish off my camera I'll really start bragging To be fair I could have blanked on the trip and I'd still rather have been there now than behind my desk.
    Last edited by jock0; 09-10-09 at 12:51 PM. Reason: dubious spelling
    Check your knots!

Perfect water!!!!

Well done
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I have caught Rainbows, browns, cutthroat, real steelhead, real goldens in kern valley, brookies, lake trout, brook/lake hybrid, cuttbows (cutthroat/rainbow hybrids), and bull trout. I have caught many subspecies of each as well.

I have caught at least 10 of each except for steelhead and bull trout.

I think its fun to catch all the different fish. My favorites are still brown trout though, majestic fish those.

Booger Rose Banned User

Jock0, thanks for the pics, I'm drooling on this side. Have only fished a small stream while back and starting to get "ontrekkingsimtome". My season is of to a bad start. Your photos have me already making plans to fish ASAP. been hectic at work between traveling Jo'Burg and Cpt a few times past three weeks. maybe I must go early in the morning and get to office a bit later than normal. I need to take a fish!

Quote Originally Posted by FishZ View Post
    I have caught Rainbows, browns, cutthroat, real steelhead, real goldens in kern valley, brookies, lake trout, brook/lake hybrid, cuttbows (cutthroat/rainbow hybrids), and bull trout. I have caught many subspecies of each as well.

I have caught at least 10 of each except for steelhead and bull trout.

I think its fun to catch all the different fish. My favorites are still brown trout though, majestic fish those.
    How about arora trout? aurora_trout.jpg Which trout haven't you caught?
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

The first philosophical fly fishing lesson my Dad ever gave me was along these lines: You are only truly a fly fisherman once you have caught a wild brown trout in a stream on a dry fly.

Whether this is agreed upon matters not; I was, however, very young but it did cause me to put an immense amount of effort into finding and catching them - especially in my school and varsity days.

You'd never believe how many great little brownie streams are hidden out there! Enjoy the hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by fdavis View Post
    The first philosophical fly fishing lesson my Dad ever gave me was along these lines: You are only truly a fly fisherman once you have caught a wild brown trout in a stream on a dry fly.

Whether this is agreed upon matters not; I was, however, very young but it did cause me to put an immense amount of effort into finding and catching them - especially in my school and varsity days.

You'd never believe how many great little brownie streams are hidden out there! Enjoy the hunt!
    Fdavis, now you and Jock0 have gone and done it. Challenge accepted. Hope i still have a wife when i one day say "challenge completed !"
    Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    Like thread through the bobbin holder... so are the days of our flies

Quote Originally Posted by fdavis View Post
    Well said!
    Small stream, big brownies.jpg
    Check your knots!

Browns are amazing creatures!!!
    IMG_3448.jpg
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

Caught my first brown on Smalblaar 6 last season. Sitting underneath an overhanging bush he was very surprised when the CDC and Elk gave him a prick.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9