Thread: Coleoptera (beetles)

Default Coleoptera (beetles)

Do we fish beetles enough?

Im not just talking about terrestrial dries, but also the larva stages... I havent seen beetle larva immitations.
    Which is strange as its found in just about any and every watersource. In abundance!

The larval stages can be found in sizes 8 to 20. They are not so easily affected by pollution, mostly strong swimmers. Something like the best of both mayfly nymphs and caddis pupa. Some of the beetle larva species have to emerge so suck air and then return to the bottom. And they are predatory, meaning they have to travel about in search of food? Making them very vulnerable to fish, especially yellows i would think...

Am i heading in the right direction or is there something im missing?
    Size does matter! Smallstreams fill up big hearts!!!!!!!

I think most of our regular nymph and larva imitations, imitate beetle larva quite well and we do fish beetle imitations quite often even if we do not realise it.

I for one do not try to imitate adults enough. Adult terestrials yes, but subsurface, almost never. Maybe a very good idea to start experimenting more with these. Adults are in the water all year and might be a very productive winter patern! Paterns like walkers killers might imitate them well and this might be the reason they are so efective??

Definately something I will spend more time on when tying.

I'll ask Ed to send me all the stuff from his beetle era, will be heaps, I'll forward it to you.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvd View Post
    Adult terestrials yes, but subsurface, almost never.
    Ed's sunken Beetle, a must try!
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by SilverShadows View Post
    I havent seen beetle larva immitations.
    Looks very similar to a caddis larva to me - or at least that's what Google shows me.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    I'll ask Ed to send me all the stuff from his beetle era, will be heaps, I'll forward it to you.
    Would be much appreciated Mario!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvd View Post
    Would be much appreciated Mario!
    No sweat - will do when I'm back in the sticks and feel human again
    Mario Geldenhuys

Default beetles

the riffle beetle larva looks very much like the caddis larva do...

Riffle beetle larvae are specially adapted to cling to smooth rocks in fast-flowing water (riffles). After emergence, adults fly for a short time but return to the water to feed in the same habitat as the larvae. Both the larvae and adults are rather small, dark-colored, and tend to drift to the bottom of a sample so they may be hard to see. Riffle beetles collect and gather a variety of different foods.

the beetle larva seem to be around half an inch in length (+-1.27cm)
    not much else i can find...
    Last edited by gazzarowan; 26-06-10 at 06:15 PM.

the larva do look very much like and bahave like caddis larvae. But they are very predatory and dont build cases . They have a more prominent head and clawlike jaws.
    I wil try post some pics if i can find.
    Otherwise have a look for 'south african freshwater invertabrates' . Some really decent info and pics there.

That would be great Mario. Cant wait to see what comes out of Eds archives.
    Size does matter! Smallstreams fill up big hearts!!!!!!!