Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Saltwater setup for a guy with a very limited budget

The Explorer Clasic rods always do the job, I have a #10 rod that is almost ten years old and stil going strong, @ R250 (from Ganis) a great buy if your on a budget.

As for cheap decent reels, there aint a lot around, but I am more than just a litle impressed with the tica reels. Its a large arbour reel and is of good quality. on a recent saltwater trip one of the guys onboard had a tica as a backup reel and we tried to break it whilst targeting sharks that was taking the fly eagerly and it stopped them right in their tracks, we were unable to break the reel. Its between R 400 and R 500 at Ganis and worth every penny.
    The guy will be able to use both these items as backups in future and wont regret the buy.

You will be able to get a relatively decent line and backing for about R 300 so all and all less than a thousand bucks and not a bad setup.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvd View Post
    The Explorer Clasic rods always do the job, I have a #10 rod that is almost ten years old and stil going strong, @ R250 (from Ganis) a great buy if your on a budget.

As for cheap decent reels, there aint a lot around, but I am more than just a litle impressed with the tica reels. Its a large arbour reel and is of good quality. on a recent saltwater trip one of the guys onboard had a tica as a backup reel and we tried to break it whilst targeting sharks that was taking the fly eagerly and it stopped them right in their tracks, we were unable to break the reel. Its between R 400 and R 500 at Ganis and worth every penny.
    The guy will be able to use both these items as backups in future and wont regret the buy.

You will be able to get a relatively decent line and backing for about R 300 so all and all less than a thousand bucks and not a bad setup.
    Fishing in the salt with a ''budget'' rod, you might as well go the whole hogg and go ''budget'' reel and ''relatively decent line and backing'', hell!! that way you could catch relatively ''budget/small fish''

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Fishing in the salt with a ''budget'' rod, you might as well go the whole hogg and go ''budget'' reel and ''relatively decent line and backing'', hell!! that way you could catch relatively ''budget/small fish''

DAVE
    He he,if the man is on a budget, his on a budget, the fish on the right taken on a Tica, relatively big fish on a relatively cheap reel. In the salt for me the reel is what you need, the rod not as importent, but the reel needs to be good enough to land the fish.

Thanks Chris. I have heard about the tica reels. But one problem its not a fly reels. Can you maybe give your opinion about the Kilwell DNX reels? And do you know if it comes in a 8/9wt or not? if not will you be able to use a 7/8 wt reel on a 8/9 rod. I agree with you about the reel I am not an expert but I know fore sure that the reel is very importent...

Dave If you give the money to help the guy out with some decent gear, go 4 it...
    Nature does not differentiate between threats, Mother Earth bears them all and we as her creatures are the ones that can make a difference.
    -Ilan Lax

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Janse van Rensburg View Post
    Thanks Chris. I have heard about the tica reels. But one problem its not a fly reels. Can you maybe give your opinion about the Kilwell DNX reels? And do you know if it comes in a 8/9wt or not? if not will you be able to use a 7/8 wt reel on a 8/9 rod. I agree with you about the reel I am not an expert but I know fore sure that the reel is very importent...

Dave If you give the money to help the guy out with some decent gear, go 4 it...
    Tica do make fly reels, the one in the pic on the right is a fly reel not so? Heres a link to their site: http://www.ticaglobal.com/eu/product...listing&sid=73

Nothing wrong with the kilwel, but I have no saltwater experience with it, most of the cheaper reels doesnt hold out to well in the salt and in the pricerange you are looking, the tica is the best buy for your buck!

He he,if the man is on a budget, his on a budget, the fish on the right taken on a Tica, relatively big fish on a relatively cheap reel. In the salt for me the reel is what you need, the rod not as importent, but the reel needs to be good enough to land the fish.
    Glad you enjoyed that, could not help myself. Sorry!! so to say.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Tica do make fly reels, the one in the pic on the right is a fly reel not so? Heres a link to their site: http://www.ticaglobal.com/eu/product...listing&sid=73

Nothing wrong with the kilwel, but I have no saltwater experience with it, most of the cheaper reels doesnt hold out to well in the salt and in the pricerange you are looking, the tica is the best buy for your buck!
    Sorry Chris my bad I was looking at the wrong right
    Nature does not differentiate between threats, Mother Earth bears them all and we as her creatures are the ones that can make a difference.
    -Ilan Lax

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Glad you enjoyed that, could not help myself. Sorry!! so to say.

DAVE

Don't say sorry Dave, I enjoyed it as well.
    -Ilan Lax

Chris I just had a look at the tica specs. Wow it looks good!!! I will surely phone Ganis tomorrow!!! I am thinking of getting me a saltwater setup aswell, all this searching for gear has made the itch bigger...
    -Ilan Lax

Dont forget to look at the auction and for sale sections on the different local fishing forums - this one, wiets's one, sealine, esa's one etc. Bid or buy, gumtree and junkmail are also worth a look. There are some real bargains to be had.

As far as reels go I'd go for one of the local saltwater reels such as magla, predator etc.

Skip the braid as backing if you're on a tight budget unless you already have it. 200m of 50lb will cost you more than you're rod...
    Check your knots!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast