Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What I need for Seychelles.

Default What I need for Seychelles.

Hi..

I'm currantly in matric and thinking of taking a gap year in 2011. I'm thinking of going to the Seychelles as there is a voluntering dive and underwater research school there that I want to attend. I'm still looking for other job oppertunities there as I wont be getting paid for the first 6 months.. I have my skippers lisence and am looking to upgrade it to 40 nautical miles as I currantly only have 15 miles. So hopefully that would help me in a way.

One of the reasons I picked this location is because of my love for saltwater fly-fishing. I was hoping that you could help me with the required tackel that I would be needing for this location. I already own a 10wt xplorer guide with a 12wt stealth blue water reel.. This I use in cape town for leeries and are looking to catch some snook this upcomming week. I was thinking of getting a 7wt and 12wt setup aswell for next year. Do you think this would be the right choices as I'm gonna be staying there for a whole year, that means alot of fishing for a whole lot of different fish species? I would also like to know what lines, flies,etc,etc... to take with? Money wont be a big problem as I am selling my motorbike and using the money for fishing gear haha

Thanx very very much! I realy appreciate your help as I still know very little. This is going to be a great learning experiece for me and I'm looking so much forward to it! Hopefully after next year I'll also be able to answer some questions on the subject

Regards
    Christo

Quote Originally Posted by christo Stemmet View Post
    Hi..

I'm currantly in matric and thinking of taking a gap year in 2011. I'm thinking of going to the Seychelles as there is a voluntering dive and underwater research school there that I want to attend. I'm still looking for other job oppertunities there as I wont be getting paid for the first 6 months.. I have my skippers lisence and am looking to upgrade it to 40 nautical miles as I currantly only have 15 miles. So hopefully that would help me in a way.

One of the reasons I picked this location is because of my love for saltwater fly-fishing. I was hoping that you could help me with the required tackel that I would be needing for this location. I already own a 10wt xplorer guide with a 12wt stealth blue water reel.. This I use in cape town for leeries and are looking to catch some snook this upcomming week. I was thinking of getting a 7wt and 12wt setup aswell for next year. Do you think this would be the right choices as I'm gonna be staying there for a whole year, that means alot of fishing for a whole lot of different fish species? I would also like to know what lines, flies,etc,etc... to take with? Money wont be a big problem as I am selling my motorbike and using the money for fishing gear haha

Thanx very very much! I realy appreciate your help as I still know very little. This is going to be a great learning experiece for me and I'm looking so much forward to it! Hopefully after next year I'll also be able to answer some questions on the subject

Regards
    Christo
    Christo

I will go for an #8 rod rather than a #7, the bonefish is just very hard to land on a #7 and you will lose a lot of them to the taxman if you cant get them in quick enough. On the #8 a floating line will be all you need.

I agree that an #12 will be a good idea, just make sure you have a good reel. Shilton or something similar in quality. I had an Explorer guide reel explode on me at st Josephs after 3 fish. Check out the atached photo! On the #12 I would get a floating and intermediate line for the flats and a fast sinking line for open water. You will probably stay on Mahe and the best fishing around would be if you can get offshore with a local on some reefs. I've seen a great roosterfish and some kingies cought on fly from the shore at Mahe, but the great fishing is on the outer Islands.

Flies: Clousers, Mega Clousers, Brush flies, Semper flies, crazy charlies, prawn imitations, crab paterns flippers and poppers in all shapes, sizes and colours would be what you need. I would also take a lot of tying material, hooks etc with, not a lot of places on Mahe where you can get these.

Hope this helps you a bit.
    Last edited by chrisvd; 28-06-10 at 08:36 AM.

Hi there

I would almost agree with Chris as far as the tackle is concerned.

I would only suggest that you up the eight even further to a nine because of the versatility. The ten can then serve as a backup for the nine. When only targeting Bones the eight will be spot on but if you want to throw slightly bigger/heavier flies like crabs etc at Triggers, then the nine simply performs faster and more accurately.

I fished around Mahe about a month ago. All our fishing was concentrated around the inner islands and it wasn't great but we did manage large numbers of Bonnies and Bludgers. Big GT's seems to be extremely rare around Mahe and the flats are pretty wasted.

You will undoubtedly have a great time though and make sure to check out the Eish Bar at Eden. Awesome group of people and you'll pick up good fishing contacts.

Cheers
    MC

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Hi there

I would almost agree with Chris as far as the tackle is concerned.

I would only suggest that you up the eight even further to a nine because of the versatility. The ten can then serve as a backup for the nine. When only targeting Bones the eight will be spot on but if you want to throw slightly bigger/heavier flies like crabs etc at Triggers, then the nine simply performs faster and more accurately.

I fished around Mahe about a month ago. All our fishing was concentrated around the inner islands and it wasn't great but we did manage large numbers of Bonnies and Bludgers. Big GT's seems to be extremely rare around Mahe and the flats are pretty wasted.

You will undoubtedly have a great time though and make sure to check out the Eish Bar at Eden. Awesome group of people and you'll pick up good fishing contacts.

Cheers
    MC
    Yeah, a #9 would probably be the most versatile. The #10 as a backup is also a good idea. The #8 is perfect for the bones though. I used my #10 and #12 on the flats the most, but its a bit of an overkill for the bones. You have the added advantage of just changing the fly should you encounter kingies or Triggerfish. But yes, the #9 should be more of an alrounder.

Hi,

Firstly, ek is baie jaloers, ek wens ek kon so kans gevat het!!

Secondly, keep in mind that you will be there for a year, and that it is very easy to courier something there if necessary. You can always ask the guys on the forum to send you stuff, provided you pay them. There's some trustable mense hier.

Get yourself a 9wt TFO Axiom and a Shilton SL 6 with a extra spool. Im sure you'll be more than fine with that!!

So my suggestion is get decent stuff and all the basics you need and if you really short something, mail someone...

My 2c

Ciao

Ahh thanx very much for the input guys!! This will surely help me a lot. I was thinking of using my #12 stealth bluewater reel on the #12 rod, and getting a new #10 reel for my #10 rod.. Is the stealth bluewater a good enough reel for those big GT's or should I rather buy a new reel and use the stealth as a backup? I can't have any reels popping on me like the one in the pic. Just imagine if this should happen within the first month or so.. No more GT's for the rest of the year... haha. Also what brand of rods do you guys prefer? I was looking at at a shimano fast action. One of my friends has a similar shimano and it almost feels better that my guide. The shimano is alot stiffer and I seem to get alot more distance. Overall I'm not that impressed with the guide series as the cork grip started chipping out after just the first time I used it.. But mostly I hear good things about it. Maby the guide2 would be a better option? I've also fished alot with Neil Malan and made a few casts with his sage. Also a very good feel to it! Thanx again guys!

Regards
    Christo

Haha dankie troep! Ja dis maar 'n kans om te vat, maar eks seker ek sal nie spyt wees nie. Dankie vir die hulp! Klink my shilton is maar the way to go!

Ek dink gaan pawn jou pa se spaarwiel en kry vir jou 'n ordentlike stok en katrol. Jy gaan die res van jou lewe met dit kan vang, wel ten minste die katrol. Jy gaan nie maklik weer die kans kry om in die Seychelles 'n geleentheid te kry nie, so moenie jou tyd mors met goed wat kan breek nie!!!

Ek sal groot gaan as ek jy is, weet dis maklik om te praat maar try jou bes!!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by christo Stemmet View Post
    Ahh thanx very much for the input guys!! This will surely help me a lot. I was thinking of using my #12 stealth bluewater reel on the #12 rod, and getting a new #10 reel for my #10 rod.. Is the stealth bluewater a good enough reel for those big GT's or should I rather buy a new reel and use the stealth as a backup? I can't have any reels popping on me like the one in the pic. Just imagine if this should happen within the first month or so.. No more GT's for the rest of the year... haha. Also what brand of rods do you guys prefer? I was looking at at a shimano fast action. One of my friends has a similar shimano and it almost feels better that my guide. The shimano is alot stiffer and I seem to get alot more distance. Overall I'm not that impressed with the guide series as the cork grip started chipping out after just the first time I used it.. But mostly I hear good things about it. Maby the guide2 would be a better option? I've also fished alot with Neil Malan and made a few casts with his sage. Also a very good feel to it! Thanx again guys!

Regards
    Christo
    Gaan vir die beste wat jy kan bekostig. Daai explorer is ge-cansel deur 'n redelike klein haaitjie. Dit was darrem die derde een, maar die groot menere sal 'n average katrol vinnig verniel! Kyk maar vir 'n ordentlike ding op jou #12. Die Shimano stokke is nogal lekker, ek het 'n #10 en heel gelukig met hom, hy pas by my manier van cast, so nie probleme nie. Ek het ook op ons laaste trip 'n flyline verloor, so dis dalk die moeite werd om so een of twee goedkoop lyne extra saam te vat vir ingeval. ma jy is lekker bevooreg om daar te kan bly vir 'n jaar, ek hoop jy hou aan om die forum te besoek, as jy daar is, dan kan jy ons bietjie op hoogte hou.

Nothing wrong with the stealth bluewater reels
    just keep them clean ,else the salt packs up behind the drag plate so u cant loosen the drag fully
    make sure you have used the teflon oil on the cork (and have a few spare corks)
    and you are sorted

Exibit A

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast