Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What I need for Seychelles.

Quote Originally Posted by christo Stemmet View Post
    Hi..

I'm currantly in matric and thinking of taking a gap year in 2011. I'm thinking of going to the Seychelles as there is a voluntering dive and underwater research school there that I want to attend. I'm still looking for other job oppertunities there as I wont be getting paid for the first 6 months.. I have my skippers lisence and am looking to upgrade it to 40 nautical miles as I currantly only have 15 miles. So hopefully that would help me in a way.

One of the reasons I picked this location is because of my love for saltwater fly-fishing. I was hoping that you could help me with the required tackel that I would be needing for this location. I already own a 10wt xplorer guide with a 12wt stealth blue water reel.. This I use in cape town for leeries and are looking to catch some snook this upcomming week. I was thinking of getting a 7wt and 12wt setup aswell for next year. Do you think this would be the right choices as I'm gonna be staying there for a whole year, that means alot of fishing for a whole lot of different fish species? I would also like to know what lines, flies,etc,etc... to take with? Money wont be a big problem as I am selling my motorbike and using the money for fishing gear haha

Thanx very very much! I realy appreciate your help as I still know very little. This is going to be a great learning experiece for me and I'm looking so much forward to it! Hopefully after next year I'll also be able to answer some questions on the subject

Regards
    Christo
    HI Christo,
    Mooi so,

As jy jou skippers ''opgrade'' , gaan vir die ''no limitations'' lisensie. Kos bietjie extra, en 'n bietjie meer om te leer. Maar dit sal jou meer baat, want dan is jy nie ''restricted''/ onder 'n limiet om net van son opkoms tot son afgaan op die water te wees. In ander woorde , jy kan donker uitgaan en donker terug kom, off nog beter, meer as 'n dag en 'n nag op die water wees.

As jy enige vrae het , P.M. my.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Thanx for the input! My knowlege is growing by the second haha. I'm still looking for a job and a place to stay after the 6 month internship with GVI were im going to be a volunteer in marine conservation.. I'm still deciding wther to do the 10 week expedition, or the 22 week internship. In that time I will be provided with food, accommodation, PADI and recearch corses, and absolutely no cash Haha. Is here anyone that might know of something that I could do after the 3 or 6 months? Or maby know of cheap accommodation or a place were I can find work for the remaining months? I'v search the web for jobs and I have learned that you have to have at least 3 years experiece to become a bartender in Seychelles I'll even be happy to take half the salary their offering. I'm not looking to make loads of money. Just want to be able to survive while I'm there and enjoy some quality fishing... I meen common.. bartender cant be that hard, can it? So if anyone know of something.. anything, please let me know!

Regards
    Christo

Thanx for the input! My knowlege is growing by the second haha. I'm still looking for a job and a place to stay after the 6 month internship with GVI were im going to be a volunteer in marine conservation.. I'm still deciding wther to do the 10 week expedition, or the 22 week internship. In that time I will be provided with food, accommodation, PADI and recearch corses, and absolutely no cash Haha. Is here anyone that might know of something that I could do after the 3 or 6 months? Or maby know of cheap accommodation or a place were I can find work for the remaining months? I'v search the web for jobs and I have learned that you have to have at least 3 years experiece to become a bartender in Seychelles I'll even be happy to take half the salary their offering. I'm not looking to make loads of money. Just want to be able to survive while I'm there and enjoy some quality fishing... I meen common.. bartender cant be that hard, can it? So if anyone know of something.. anything, please let me know!

Regards
    Christo
    Christo

I'm sure you will be able to find work out there. If you start hanging out with the locals during the first six months you will get the hang of it. Ask around and befriend as many people as you can, there will be something to do. Most of the locals avoid the fancy places and kuier at places like the pizza place on Bauvilon bay, hang out there and you will bump into someone that will be able to help you. Accomodation in the seychelles isn't cheap, so try and get a job with lodging. If you can't get something within the six months come back home, no worries.

Yeah I think the best to do is to get there, and then sort everything out! Thanx! Do anyone know were I can buy a vice for big saltwater flies in Cape Town?? The only place I know of where I'v seen some is at Eikendal. But that was a few months ago. Maby I'll go down there tomorrow and have a look..

Also what backing do you prefer? I curently have normal brade as backing on my stealth in order to fit more line.. I don't like it that much though. Will normal backing be better?

Also what backing do you prefer? I curently have normal brade as backing on my stealth in order to fit more line.. I don't like it that much though. Will normal backing be better?
    What braid is it?

Just remember that dacron of the same breaking strain as the braid is significantly thicker, roughly three or four times thicker depending on the brand if I remember correctly.
    Check your knots!

I think it's suffix.. I like the fact that its a lot thinner, but this also causes it to cut into itself, or would tighter winding do the job? Also decron has a lot of drag in the water that can mean helping you land bigger fish as the fish not only fights you, but also the line dragging through the water. This is only a thought..

Winding the suffix tighter should help a lot. I have never had any problems with suffix cutting in, but I have had the problem with gelspun though. I might just be lucky with the suffix. The dacron is a no go for me on a #12 not enough backing for the tipe of fishing you will be doing. Maybe on your #9 or #10, but definately not on a #12. Rather use the drag on the reel to help you land a big fish, you can control it much better.

My 2c

Thanx a lot! I have about 300m of suffix on my #12 and there's still alooooota space left. Should be able to get at least 600-800m of backing on there.. Cant seem to remember the breaking power though. Think is 80lbs, maby 50.. What do you suggest for the #12. #10, aswell the #9?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2