Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Shimano Rods?

Default Shimano Rods?

Was in a Somerset Sports the other day and saw Shimano flyfishing rods. Has anyone heard of Shimano rods? Don't they do brakes and gear systems for bicycles?

Andrew

I'm by no means a fundi on the topic, but from what I have heard, the shimano rods are actually quite good. I assume though it depends on which level you talking about. (entry level, or top of the brand)
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

I haven't seen the SHIMANO rods yet, but their reels really look and feel great Our local tackle shop owner swears by them. Anyone else out there have any experience of these reels as I'm looking at getting myself one
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    I haven't seen the SHIMANO rods yet, but their reels really look and feel great Our local tackle shop owner swears by them. Anyone else out there have any experience of these reels as I'm looking at getting myself one
    I have one Herman. They have the best drag I have ever felt on any fly reel, in fact so much so that they are a total overkill for trout fishing. A pretty little piece of machinery if you ask me, much like the bicycle components for which Shimano are so well known and respected.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    I have one Herman. They have the best drag I have ever felt on any fly reel, in fact so much so that they are a total overkill for trout fishing. A pretty little piece of machinery if you ask me, much like the bicycle components for which Shimano are so well known and respected.
    Thanks Chris, as I said they feel absolutely beutifull. My minds made up, SWAMBO remember my birthday's soon hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Thanks Chris, as I said they feel absolutely beutifull. My minds made up, SWAMBO remember my birthday's soon hehehe
    Herman, don't tell me you let the SWAMBO read this? This has huge implications, we may all have to tidy up our acts!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Elliott View Post
    Herman, don't tell me you let the SWAMBO read this? This has huge implications, we may all have to tidy up our acts!
    No need to panic Kevin, there is no way that SWAMBO would be allowed to read the forums , unless she bacame a member without my knowing but she hates fishing in all forms anyway. I was just putting in print the "subtle" hints she will be getting over the next 2 months

Just one thing when you get your reel Herman, check that the centre pin of the handle is really vas. I had to exchange mine after a few months of stillwater fishing with it (which wasn't that often) as it worked its way loose. They were very good about it though and gave me a brand new reel

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Just one thing when you get your reel Herman, check that the centre pin of the handle is really vas. I had to exchange mine after a few months of stillwater fishing with it (which wasn't that often) as it worked its way loose. They were very good about it though and gave me a brand new reel
    Thanks for the advice Chris, they are going to have to change the reel to left hand wind anyway. I cast right and reel left, ( baggage from spinning reel days), and I will examine the reel minutely before parting with my 550 smackers

Actually SWAMBO's 550 smackers I hope

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast