Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Famous Inflatable Boat Opinion

Default Line snags

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    like the position of the oar stowage, too high, and will snag flyline, same problem with the ARK
    Andre we use stripping baskets on the Vaal.You will be lost without it. The rest as u say is personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Andre we use stripping baskets on the Vaal.You will be lost without it. The rest as u say is personal.
    Yes, we also use stripping baskets, but still better to have the top of the pontoon free, that way, you can sit on it as well, but yes, personal preference, I just like a clear pontoon.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Slightly off topic. FISH FINDERS

Just now you will be throwing RAPALA'S on spinning sticks to find the LM lies.

What happened to doing the homework and "hunting" the fish ?
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Herman I think anyone who owns one and fish the Vaal will tell u it's meant for a whole lot of other functions and not actually for "finding fish" I use mine to view temperature,depth and just general bottom scouting like looking for ledges,rock bed,drop offs,for future excursions or for later in the afternoon fishing or just to be cautious ie motor protection (already on my 2nd prop this winter).

Very valuble tool indeed!
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 22-08-10 at 09:24 PM.

Maybe I should get one, and strap it to my boot when wading places like GVP, or other such neferious wading venues.

Hope they come with their own battreies though. Having to put a big 6V battery in my back pack, would take away from precious liquid sustenance storage space, ito of weight on the river.

Also with that weight in my pack, I wouldn't be able to DRIFT.

I would just sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Yes, nice looking boat. I can safely say it is definatly not based on the Minnow. It would probably be more similar to the Fishduc, only a little wider, and perhaps slightly longer. I can tell why they want it longer, with those woodden cross panels, they probably won't be sitting on the pontoon to cast, but it would be interesting to know the measurement of the beam (internal width) I agree the sensor is too low, but it looks like its on an adjustable shaft. a few minor things I would change, but that would come down to personal preference, like the position of the oar stowage, too high, and will snag flyline, same problem with the ARK, but I have made an adjustment to mine to stow the oars just above the water line, I don't use paddles.Thus the top of the pontoon is clear of clutter.
    For the rest, an outlet valve at the strern, and a nose ring would come in handy, but on the whole, a well thought out boat.
    It actually has a nose-ring (strap), but the pic from the front doesn't show it. It's just below the photo's bottom.
    The oars never pose a problem as we fish with stripping baskets. Fly line tends to snag on EVERYTHING (boots, battery holders, net, backpacks, cooler bags). Also the stripping baskets help when you get out of the boat...line doesn't get dragged with current, etc.
    The valves...there are three, one for each pontoon or air compartment. Two at the back on the pontoons each side, one front...can't recall exactly where.

Michael,

I have to ask the question. Have you ordered yours yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Michael,

I have to ask the question. Have you ordered yours yet.
    Herman...did you forget the last few lines on the other posts?
    Married....new house....etc etc
    If I buy an inflatable now, I will be sleeping with the doggies.

Gaza Banned User

Default Stripping line on a arc

Just a thought on some of the line-management issues on a arc or heron.
    I use my net , open it up , and lie it across the gunnels , and strip into the net.
    Seems to work fine.
    It is a long , folding handle model , works great...
    G

The "water on mars" is funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaza View Post
    Just a thought on some of the line-management issues on a arc or heron.
    I use my net , open it up , and lie it across the gunnels , and strip into the net.
    Seems to work fine.
    It is a long , folding handle model , works great...
    G

The "water on mars" is funny!
    Ok, Water on Mars.... never thought of that, said I was doff, now it's confirmed (ask Shammers)
    Re stripping into the net, yes, can do that, until you have a fish on, and need to net it......
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast