Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Famous Inflatable Boat Opinion

Default Famous Inflatable Boat Opinion

Firstly let me apologise for a very similar post I have made on one of the other forums but I am after a bit of advice....

I came across the Famous Inflatable Boat MK II, very similar to the Fishduc.

Does anyone have any experience of these boats?

It looks like very good quality and the reviews from the bass guys are good. It is also very reasonably priced at R5400 (including pumps, paddles & custom valve adaptor) and there is a winter special on at the moment for R400 off, so R5000 could be really good value.

They have a package which includes the following for R 7575 (less R400, so R7175):

- Famous Inflatable Bass Boat: R5400
    - 30lb Jarvis Walker Watersnake Trolling Motor: R1180
    - Excis 65a/h Deep Cycle Maintenance Free Battery: R780
    - 2.5kg Folding Anchor: R: 215

What do you think?

IT seems like a good deal.

Can you fit a 2,5 horse power on the transom?
    From the pics, it appears if there is some sort of semi permanent rudder on the transom.
    I dont think is should be a problem, to if you need to.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

The rudder is an optional extra if you also go for the front mounted transom for a trolling motor.

On the standard transom you can apparently mount up to an 8HP petrol motor.
    Last edited by Bryan; 21-07-10 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Spelling

the best is if you can contact a couple of guys, who have one of these boats and chat to them, see what the wear and tear is on a boat after a season or so.

with the motor, battery etc, it seems like a good deal.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

It looks like a design quite similar to the Ark, with dimensions just as close. The Ark works well, so no reason why this one shouldn't. For the price, looks like a winner. Check the after sales service and warranties, and also check with the manufacturer, how easy it is to patch punctures...some PVC is easier than others to patch.
    Also, how small does it pack, and how stable is it with two guys standing, as in the picture. I personally wouldn't stand on such a small boat, but if you have a safety rope , shouldn't be a problem.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    It looks like a design quite similar to the Ark, with dimensions just as close. The Ark works well, so no reason why this one shouldn't. For the price, looks like a winner. Check the after sales service and warranties, and also check with the manufacturer, how easy it is to patch punctures...some PVC is easier than others to patch.
    Also, how small does it pack, and how stable is it with two guys standing, as in the picture. I personally wouldn't stand on such a small boat, but if you have a safety rope , shouldn't be a problem.
    There again we all know that you are a woosie.

Seriously now Andre is right, warrantees, service, patching etc, are very important, as well as ease of inflating, deflating and packing.

For the total price mentioned in the first post, you would be very close to a Fishduc 2 ( ARK ), with trolling motor, etc, etc, but with buying the add on's, trolling motor etc, from the original suppliers, rather than a package deal.

For instance, who carries the warantee on the trolling motor ? The retailer, or the OEM, ( IMporter ). ? If the retailer passes the buck back to the OEM ( Original Equipment Manufacturer ), it could be 3 -4 months before a problem is resolved.

Think carefully, and seriously, PM Gerrit,or me for his number, concerning money ill spent on inflateables.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Williaby View Post
    Firstly let me apologise for a very similar post I have made on one of the other forums but I am after a bit of advice....

I came across the Famous Inflatable Boat MK II, very similar to the Fishduc.

Does anyone have any experience of these boats?

It looks like very good quality and the reviews from the bass guys are good. It is also very reasonably priced at R5400 (including pumps, paddles & custom valve adaptor) and there is a winter special on at the moment for R400 off, so R5000 could be really good value.

They have a package which includes the following for R 7575 (less R400, so R7175):

- Famous Inflatable Bass Boat: R5400
    - 30lb Jarvis Walker Watersnake Trolling Motor: R1180
    - Excis 65a/h Deep Cycle Maintenance Free Battery: R780
    - 2.5kg Folding Anchor: R: 215

What do you think?
    Ian Couryer sells the Heron... Very similar price and it's an awesome boat!! Better than the Fishduc imo...
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Ian Couryer sells the Heron... Very similar price and it's an awesome boat!! Better than the Fishduc imo...
    At present, the Ark Fishduc (airfloor) is R8,210. Ian's Heron is R5,400.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Louw View Post
    At present, the Ark Fishduc (airfloor) is R8,210. Ian's Heron is R5,400.
    I'm sure they will both work equally well. The Fishduc is more, because it sells through retail outlets, and the retailer makes a margin, wheras the Heron sells directly from Ian who makes it, and he is taking less margin, as he does not use a dealer chain. The Fishduc wholesales for around R6K, so the dealer makes roughly 2K, plus of course VAT, which Ian probably doesn't charge. If warranties are important to you, you must look at that as well. The ARK had welded seems, which the Heron doesn't have, but also no biggie, and certainly not worth the R3K premium. I have glued seems on my big boat, wuich is an 18 foot inflatable and they have been fine for 5 years. I wiould rather have welded seems, but as I say, no biggie. At the end of the day, it's your decision, but the fishduc is a great little boat.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

The Ark price I quoted is direct from the factory. Or at least, its the price the factory quoted me about a month ago.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast