Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: intro and some help needed

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    So why do YOU get mad when I have ''a dig'' at you???????????????""

DAVE
    Only because the spade you "dig" with, hurts a bit when it penetrates my skull.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    First of all, we don't like competition anglers, be they past , present , or future..... they have a tendancy to think they know everything, and don't share their knowledge with others (unless paid) and on top of it they cheat, and are full of politics and Bull sh1t.....
    Apart from that, welcome to the forum, and I hope that you find a sustenance for your addiction.... (must be tough having to support the Lions ..eh?)
    Don't listen to him. He thinks he knows everything!

Welcome WackyWP - I'm going the other way- trying to figure out this Rock and Surf thing!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Booger Rose Banned User

Welcome to the site Wacky, hope you have a great time casting the fly.

Don't go out this weekend and buy yourself a cheap starter kit!!! I'm sure the Jhb guys will take you along on a trippie and let you fish with an extra rod etc. Those cheapy kits with the really bad lines are made to frustrate you and as soon as you get the hang of things and know what you want to buy, go out and buy something better, not necesarily more expensive. Hope this helps to get started.

Only because the spade you "dig" with, hurts a bit when it penetrates my skull.
    Dont be so fragile, this is FT.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

First of all, we don't like competition anglers, be they past , present , or future..... they have a tendancy to think they know everything, and don't share their knowledge with others (unless paid) and on top of it they cheat, and are full of politics and Bull sh1t.....
    Apart from that, welcome to the forum, and I hope that you find a sustenance for your addiction.... (must be tough having to support the Lions ..eh?)
    typical comp guys making marakas !!!

welcome to the forum im sure you will find a home here
    where are all the jhb boys take the man for a fish allready

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Terence, firstly welcome to the forums and site.

Secondly, the search function on the Main Forum toolbar will leave you reading for around 3 months.

Lastly, which species of freshwater fish are you looking to target ?

If it's trout, being winter and all, I would PM, Michael, Byron, Rory, Tye 2, SchlossD1, Troutmaster, Flybum, etc, etc.

If it's Yellows, either SM or LM, in winter, then beg , via PM the following;
    Yellowfever, Scythe, Gerrit, Troutmaster, Michael, Shamwari, etc.

If it's a very social day with fishing, PM ; Chris Williams, Schlossie, SA Gixer, Rory or myself.

BTW, we are planning a drift in 2 weeks time (1st Aug.) If you are interested PM me.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

I will second Herman's reply, excluding the TroutMaster part for Trout in winter; once you have hooked and landed a LM (LargeMouth Yellowfish) then there is NO REASON to go after those dog-food fed fishies ... [just a joke about the dog food - although Diddle Daddle Popcorn is a completely different story].

Unfortunately I am getting to the water less and less with family / kids responsibilities and this weekend's LM trip is PRIVATE ... location H!

Do yourself a favour and contact Frontier Fly Fishing (FFF), Laxtons and/or Fly Fishers Unlimited (FFU) - they always advertise their "Join us for a day at the Vaal" trips - I do not think you have to pay guide fees necessarily.

If you do want a guide to go through a fast learning curve, I can recommend Ian Couryer [nice quiet guy that knows his stuff] as well as Gary Glen Young (GGY on forum) [engineer, very technical, talks a lot - like most of us engineers do ].

PS: The drift with the guys will be a great outing ... I am trying to organize 'pass' for that one.
    Last edited by troutmaster; 20-07-10 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by troutmaster View Post
    I will second Herman's reply,
    PS: The drift with the guys will be a great outing ... I am trying to organize 'pass' for that one.

This is only for those who wish to meet, laugh with, DRINK WITH, swim with, and "possibly" share secrets with, the degenorites (sp) of the Vaal f/f.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by troutmaster View Post
    ...Gary Glen Young (GGY on forum) [engineer, very technical, talks a lot....
    Gary, an engineer? .....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Gary, an engineer? .....
    ... wahaha.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast