Thread: 7wt line recommendation for bass/LM/barbel/still water trout

Default 7wt line recommendation for bass/LM/barbel/still water trout

Hi all

I got myself a 7 weight rod (Stealth Magnum) and have difficulty in deciding which lines to buy. This rod will be used mainly for for bass but also LM, barbel etc and maybe even for still water trout (when I don't feel like using my fast action 5 weight). I will also use it for messing around in estuaries targeting small leeries and the like.

Now which line?

Intermediate - any suggestions on the brand as well as sinking rate?

Floating - I see you get line specifically developed for bass (eg Cortland Precision Bass), designed with a larger taper to allow easier casting of large flies. This looks quite useful, but are these lines worth spending the extra bucks?
    Will this line work for non bass applications eg where I want a slightly more delicate presentation (if this is possible with a 7wt) of light flies directed at still water trout?

I dont like having too many lines so I would prefer 1 intermediate and 1 floater (price: mid to upper range - must be decent quality). Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

I use Cortland 444 Classic and I used it so far for bass, kurper, YF, muddies, barbel ... I just LOVE this line!

Cortland lines are good, but the tech behind them is old.

Look at the Airflo Cold Saltwater intermediate, you can use it in warm temps as well as ice cold water for troot or winter LM. It's long 32M, casts like a dream and most importantly, has a 6th sense core ... once you go 6th sense core you will never want to go back. You may still only be able to get it in 8WT and up like 2yrs ago, but it has a fantastic taper, really suited to turning over big heavy flies with very little effort.

Another option is the Airflo Fast Glass Intermediates, also 6th sense core, also 32M, also very good in warm AND cold conditions. One caveat, if you have a 6/7WT rod or even a 7WT outright, don't get the 6/7 Fast Glass, get the 7 proper.

In my view ... intermediate lines shouldn't be over 1.5IPS ... if you want a DI3 or a DI7 for specific fishing conditions, then get lines more suited to that purpose and that rating.

HTH.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

The lines I consider would be:

Floating - rio gold, rio grand, sci anglers master series nymph.
    Intermediate - airflo fast glass, cortland 555 little tunny or sci anglers striped bass.

That said you're going to have to come to some sort of compromise as you're looking for a line that does pretty much everything perfectly - turning over huge deer hair bass bags and delicately presenting dries need very different line tapers and leader setups
    Check your knots!