Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Researching a new venue

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    Hi Andre

I spent allot of time looking for water in that area. I'm lucky enough to have spent many a holiday in centered in Fort Beaufort. I've even gone yellow hunting in the Kat Rivers tribs! The rivers are a mess in the lower catchment areas. The fishing currently, as you know, is really restricted to stillwater unless you want to go bushwhacking up mountains to find the streams, that might or might not have fish in them.

The lowestoffe section of river has no fish as far as I'm concerned, way too hot. I went looking for yellows but never saw anything. Great looking piece of water though.

If you reed Rapture of the River Dale Heys, I think it is, mentions a few of the rivers that they stocked in the area - will double check and let you know what I find.

There are allot of private stillwaters you find out about via the farmer bush telephone - but many would prefer them to stay private I've found.

I would love to do a river exploratory mission up in the area. I'm spent enough time in the Trans/Ciskei to feel safe and prepared. I will detail a list of research I did on the river and PM you soon.
    Jees...thanks Jade, what awesome info. Much appreciated.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

as much of the Transkei/Ciskei are still under tribal chiefs, I think if you involve them, as some guides have in Lesotho, make them understand the resource they have, the economic value etc, certain safety concerns could be resolved.

Get the local chief to establish a little B&B setup, where you can stay, leave the vehicle in safety, explain to them the value of managing the resource, and you could end up with a win-win situation.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

HI Andre,

Lets start at Grahamstown, 2 stillwaters (trout and bass). Jamieson 18 hectyares and Milner 4 hectars.

Somerset East, Mountain Dam 15 hectare, Bestershoek Dam 4 hectare, Groot Dam 30 hectares some distance from the town. Glen Avon has 3 dams to fish, smallish but nice trout. But fishing the Naude's river 6km with its waterfall is great ff.

King Williams Town, Maden 10 hectares, Rooi Krans 75 hectare (trout and bass) above and below Maden, the Buffalo River is also to be fished.

Stutterheim, Gubu 108 hectares of great waters.

Then there's the Hogsback with 2 dams 2 and 4 hectares for rainbow and browns, a 30 hectare dam for bass. The Klipplaat River, 6 km of trout and yellow fish to go for. Lowestoffe has 4 dams and 18 km of the Klipplaat river.

Between Bedford and Tarkastad This is the THRIFT area. HIGHLAND LODGE, Lemietskloof, Redcliffe/ Theadon/ Delton/ Vetnor and Fairfield are all big trout waters.

Now the Cathcart and QUEENSTOWN areas have some good waters as well, right up to Dordrecht. If anyone wants info, I'll cover these areas as well.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Great info thanks Popper, which will prove invaluable for me and others, not only just for Andre

Cheers
    Chris
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Great info thanks Popper, which will prove invaluable for me and others, not only just for Andre

Cheers
    Chris
    HI Chris,
    Andre contacted me some time back regarding the Alice area. Battling to find info as to trout waters here, but have heard of a stillwater/river in this area some years back. Will research further and see what comes up. Pity the Rhodes lot are scarce these days. Clarias or Patrick that works for Martin Davis.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    HI Chris,
    Andre contacted me some time back regarding the Alice area. Battling to find info as to trout waters here, but have heard of a stillwater/river in this area some years back. Will research further and see what comes up. Pity the Rhodes lot are scarce these days. Clarias or Patrick that works for Martin Davis.

Dave
    Ya, and thanks for all the usefull inforamtion Dave. I managed to get hold of the guys at Stutterheim Trout Angling club, and they were very helpfull.I spoke to a few of them, and there is a wealth of knowledge of the area from them. So your refferals were all good. As it turns out, the opportunities are limited, for any form or organised fly fishing tourism. It is too close to the "Holy grail" of destinations, being Rhodes Maclear etc, for it to provide any form of compoetition. I always suspected that if the fishing in that area was to be any good, it would have been resonably public by now, so the fact that we have to research it in the first place, makes me think twice about the potential.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    HI Chris,

Dave
    Thanks any info on the Alice area also would be greatly appreciated by me and I'm sure as well by others, as this part of SA is not too familiar to me - yet! -cheers!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Thanks any info on the Alice area also would be greatly appreciated by me and I'm sure as well by others, as this part of SA is not too familiar to me - yet! -cheers!
    Still battling, but Chris if you ever want to go for big self sustained stillwater trout, Sneeuberg is a must. Nobody expected trout to flourish here as they do, so maybe Andre should include this area in his marketing destinations, but falls just out of the Eastern Cape, but just in the Western Cape by a couple of kilo's.

DAVE

Blog Entries

Any furter developments on this topic? I know Amatola flyfishing is doing quite well, they manage the Cata stream and Mnyameni dam

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12