Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Orange River Advice

Default Orange River Advice

Going down the orange from Viools Drift into the Richtersveld next week with Aquacade.

What Flies should I take and does one lose allot of flies.

I unfortunately only have a 3/4 weight, I hope this will be okay.

Will probably not land a 20kg baber though

Your rod will be fine, in fact perfect.....
    Any weighted nymph for small mouth, and a good streamer, like a woolly bugg3er for the deeper slower section for largies. If your drift starts at Vioolsdrift, you probably won't be going as far as the Fish River. Probably going as far as Sjambok camp. There is some awesome water, and scenery you will be going through. Be prepared to do a lot of paddling, as the river is looooow I hear, but the fishing should be fantastic. Take lots of photos.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

as always ready with good advice. thanks allot Andre

When we fished the Orange (a lot higher up though) flies with orange beads seemed to have been a lot more effective than ones with gold or black beads.
    Jacques

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

Quote Originally Posted by kreef View Post
    When we fished the Orange (a lot higher up though) flies with orange beads seemed to have been a lot more effective than ones with gold or black beads.
    Ya, Orange beads work well, as do gold, green, pink, and any other bright colour. Be aware that in general, the bigger fish might be more inclined to a natural looking fly sometimes. Not always, but sometimes. You can fish the Orange river, exactly as you would do in the Vaal.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Does anybody know what the water temps are in the Richtersveld?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Ya, Orange beads work well, as do gold, green, pink, and any other bright colour. Be aware that in general, the bigger fish might be more inclined to a natural looking fly sometimes. Not always, but sometimes. You can fish the Orange river, exactly as you would do in the Vaal.
    All true, one more thing on the Orange, if you are into dry flies, take foam beetle paterns, lots of them, they work really well on our resident yellows. The water should be relatively clear in the Richtersveld at the moment, so dries should work well. The yellows come up for the plop the beetle patern makes. Enjoy it down there!

One thing to be said about hoppers and beetles for Yellows is that they shouldn't ride too far out of the water, you will secure a lot more successful takes if you tie your hoppers and beetles to be a little heavier (usually done nicely by adding some metallic dubbing in the body which helps to sink the fly a little when it gets waterlogged)
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Does anybody know what the water temps are in the Richtersveld?

Thanks
    According to my sources, it is still cold. I don't know the temperatures, but the yellowfish are to be found at the heads of pools, and to a limited extent in the rapids. It might be a bit early for the full pre spawn runs into the rapids, but the low water will create opportunities, and might even force them up the rapids. I will let you know in a weeks time, after I have had the opportunity to physically dip my thermometer into the Orange...

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    will let you know in a weeks time, after I have had the opportunity to physically dip my thermometer into the Orange...
    3cm or 3,5cm.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast