Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: G.Loomis NRX - A sage buster?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Well, at least they are trying...
    Hehehe, well said
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Has anyone had any experience with a loomis NRX, specifically the 7 weight, how would this rod compare to the Sage tcx 7?

Sorry, no experience with it, but i do hve a theory about why they chose the colours they did.

When you watch shows on TV, or see a guy out on the lake/stream/river whatever casting beautifully, have you ever wondered what fly rod he is using?

Well, with a NRX you will know it is an NRX from miles away. I noticed this on the show that Inside Angler did when they went to Tanzania and the one guy was most definately using an NRX. I have no idea what the other guy was using, but think about a guy that watched that show and didn't know much about rods, and now he goes into a flyshop and there sits a rod with blue wraps that sticks out like a sore thumb, and since he relates, perhaps he goes for that one?

Still don't think i like the colour of it, but might understand why they did it that way after seeing a few other people using it and knowing what they were using..
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Andre,

I have an NRX 7wt, casted the 8 and six, too.
    I fished the most with the 7wt in the last year mainly for asp (1.5-4 kg fish), and caught a 3kg bluefin on it recently on Mauritius...
    I have to say, it's a rod what gave me the most fish in one year, and it just grows on me more and more. I love it.
    At first it has a strange feeling, especially when someone is used to Sages (as me), but with the right line it's a great fishing rod.
    It has a softer tip than the Sages- especially the TCX. A bit of a "mushy" - not so crisp - feel compared to the TCX.
    But it doesn't wears out the casting arm after a day of casting, and it has a real grunt in the lower section. Definitely a durable blank.
    I use it with an Airflo Bonefish/redfish ridge line, and an older generation Sage Performance taper 7wt. It sings with an SA ED 6 wt(!), too.
    I definitely plan to get an 8 and a 9, probably a 11 wt, too.
    a few pics - and you understand the inspiration to the wraps :

...one more last cast...

Thanks guys.......... haha Grant i like the way you reason, not sure if many people would of thought about that.
    Thanks Peter some good info there. Awesome fish man must have been one hell of a fight on the 7, i love the way those blue fins light up stunning fish. Some good info there thanks i have heard good things about the NRX as well as the GLX.
    Seems difficult to find these rods in SA. I managed to track one rod (NRX # 7) and that was in witbank, would have liked to feel one and do the shop wobble even more so have a cast. They are not the cheapest rods around either. I have a TCR 5 weight and love the rod, chatted to a couple of guys and have made up my mind to get the TCX, but thanks for the input anyway. Will definitely keep this option open later down the line.

Just had another look at those pics, makes that rod look very nice indeed. Peter how about loaning that rod to me for a couple of years, you can send the reel too.

GEEEEZ the quality of the cork on that rod is shocking!
    You'd think G.Loomis wouldn't skimp on that...but evidently they do.
    Doesn't impact on performance, obviously...but sooner or later that grip will have to be repaired or completely replaced.

And for me, personally...the colour scheme does not appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    GEEEEZ the quality of the cork on that rod is shocking!
    You'd think G.Loomis wouldn't skimp on that...but evidently they do.
    Doesn't impact on performance, obviously...but sooner or later that grip will have to be repaired or completely replaced.

And for me, personally...the colour scheme does not appeal.
    You took the words tight out of my mouth. But all reference to the Meatloaf song stops there

Horrible cork!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Bat from hell.

Is that a factory build ?

The ones I've seen (9WT, 10WT, 12WT) looked different to that one and the ork was impeccable. I held that and a Hardy 9WT side by side and there was little to no diffs in the quality.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast