Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: G.Loomis NRX - A sage buster?

Default G.Loomis NRX - A sage buster?

For those who think you can't top the top-end SAGE's, the about to be released NRX from G.Loomis sounds interesting. It is supposed to be 15-20% lighter than equivalent models, and uses, amongst other things, a specially developed coating on the REC guides as well as a new slow-growing Korean cork for the handle. Supposedly the same weight as Portuguese cork, but a lot harder and better able to transmit small vibrations from the line when fish bite, etc.

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/conte...rx_rods/0.html

The downside for me is the infantile line in their advertising: "This is the Best Fly Rod Ever Built!" Period!! You would think the makers of the best rod ever, period, could come up with a slightly more sophisticated argument to persuade us to part with $700 and upwards for their rods. Period.

G. Loomis is cutting some flack on this side of the pond, with their eXpiditer exchange program that is changing.

Not sure if you guys have it in SA, but the eXpiditer program basically allows you to exchange your broken Loomis for a brand spanking new one and a nominal fee. This use to be approximately 20% of the price of a new rod, but has now shot up to almost 60%!

Many loyal Loomis fans are turning to other top brands
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Rendier View Post
    G. Loomis is cutting some flack on this side of the pond, with their eXpiditer exchange program that is changing.

Not sure if you guys have it in SA, but the eXpiditer program basically allows you to exchange your broken Loomis for a brand spanking new one and a nominal fee. This use to be approximately 20% of the price of a new rod, but has now shot up to almost 60%!

Many loyal Loomis fans are turning to other top brands
    Back to Sage? Where they should have been in the first place

Its also as ugly as sin, with those teal green blue wraps. it looks amatuerish. I'm sure it will work, but a Sage buster? Doubtful.

Now that Gary Loomis has left G.Loomis, I suppose they have to try anything to hype up their products. I have a feeling G.Loomis rods will never be as good as in previous years.
    Well, that's my humble opinion anyway...they may prove me wrong, who knows. But at those prices, they make some bold statements.
    I agree with the look though, I don't like those colours they used. That's one thing I can say about Sage...their rods LOOK good too! They put some thought into the thread colours, how it will look against the blank's colour, etc.

No 10' or longer models.

Nah, not for me.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    No 10' or longer models.

Nah, not for me.
    Rubbish, you don't need anything longer than 9 foot 9....
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Michael, have you heard of Korean cork? I know zilch about rod materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Louw View Post
    Nope, nada. And it's funny...everyone the world over (rod builders, wine makers, flooring guys, etc) knows the best cork on the planet comes from Portugal.
    The only Korean cork I know is on Korean fly rods...and that's none too great most times.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Louw View Post
    Sorry to butt in, but it could be a variation of bamboo burled cork.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast