Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Surridge Stimulator (Baby bugger variant)

Default Surridge Stimulator (Baby bugger variant)

A variant of stimulator/attractor pattern that I fish. This was a follow on from my successful mutant zak/baby bugger fly. Has produced with great effect on stillwaters and for yellows too.

Materials:

Hook: TMC 3769 in size 8 or 10 is hook of choice. Can use grip 13012 in size 10, also the 1XL grip deepwater nymph hooks are good too.

I like a big gape relative to fly size. TMC is on left, note the bigger gape and stronger (thicker) build.

Bead: 3mm orange or other colour of choice in brass or tungsten

Thread: Black Danville's 140 denier or equivalent

Tail: Black marabou

Rib: Copper wire

Thorax: Petite Estaz in Pearl Black (small black fritz chenille can be used as alternative)

Legs: Tarantu-leggs Hot orange in size medium

Tying Instructions:

1. De barb hook, thread bead onto hook, start tying thread.

Using thread, build up a "cone" of thread behind the head as per picture to secure the bead against the eye of the hook and ensure that it does not slip down the hook shank during use and potentially ruin the fly. Wrap the thread in touching turns down the hook shank until imaginary point halfway between hook point and barb on the hook shank above. Spin bobbin holder a couple of times so as to make the thread tighten and then build a small thread bump.

2. Tie in marabou tail and wrap thread up against the bump so that the tail sticks up slightly. This will result in fewer tailwraps and ensure the fly swims on an even keel.

I like to tie in a really long tail as this gives the fly more movement. If you are experiencing "short" takes on the water, then you can always pinch (not cut) the tail shorter to required length with thumb and forefinger.

3. Tie in the copper wire and wind it forward tightly creating ribbed body.

This is an optional step, however I have found it very beneficial as it makes the fly durable. Trout teeth will cut the tying thread body and the tail will fall out after a few fish, the rib protects against this.

4. Tie in the Petite Estaz (or fritz chenille) body material.

5. Tie in two sets of legs, one on each side. initially use two thread wraps. Then once you have worked them into position, tie the legs on firmly with a few more tight wraps of thread.
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Default Tying instructions continued

6. Wrap thread forward till behind bead and tie in a loop of 5X or thin diameter mono with the loop facing forward. This will be used to finish the fly neatly. Tying in mono is an optional step. I like to use this technique as it leaves a neat finish to the head of the fly (see later).

7. Wrap a single turn of the Estaz behind the legs, then two turns in the middle of the legs. After each turn, stroke the body backwards to ensure that no estaz fibres are trapped by the following wrap.

8. Wrap two turns in front of the two "fore" legs and tie off the estaz body material. Also making sure not to trap any estaz fibres.

9. Push the bobbin holder and thread up through the loop as per picture below, cut off the thread ensuring that the tag end of the thread remains going through the mono loop/noose. This will be used to finish off the fly by pulling it under the body.

10. Carefully pull the tags ends of the mono loop, this will pull the loop with the tag end of the tying thread back under the thorax and finish off the fly very neatly.

A conventional hand or tool assisted whip finish can also be used as a substitute.

The finished fly from a side profile

from above

I like to leave the legs long, however they can be trimmed shorter to personal taste.
    Last edited by nkula_nkula; 11-08-10 at 09:19 PM.
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Looks like a killer pattern Liam. Well done, thanks.

Lekker fly, well done.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Gaza Banned User

Like it!
    Nice creative and simple pattern.
    Looks like that pattern can fool some big SM in the deeper holes..
    Great submission , thx!

nice tie there convict.........
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    nice tie there convict.........
    Thanks, agent smith! Never gonna live that one down.... Kyle can be happy as I have taken the heat off him! All I need is some proper ink

Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    Thanks, agent smith! Never gonna live that one down.... Kyle can be happy as I have taken the heat off him! All I need is some proper ink
    Liam, I can Photoshop some ink on you too, if you like...hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Liam, I can Photoshop some ink on you too, if you like...hehe

No no no... Ink he has to earn!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kyle-J View Post
    No no no... Ink he has to earn!!!!
    and what he has to do to earn it depends on what number he wants inked
    Check your knots!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast