Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Which fly line?

Seems that I will be getting the Rio Mainstream line in a WF6F and a WF6 Intermediate then
    André

Fly fishing noob

It is curious - curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare ~ Mark Twain

I would def add a DI3 at a later stage if I was u or dump the intermediate now and go straight to a DI3.

For Stillwaters I have 4 lines; floater, intermediate and DI3 plus a dedicated floater in a lighter weight.

For the Vaal river I exclusively fish a floater in water ranging from 1m-3m and DI3 when probing pool heads,body's and tail outs in water ranging from 3m-8m WITH CURRENT targetting Largies.An Intermediate seems a bit lost in that particular mix.

Nymphing always floater.

But ja,if your going the Stillwater route I'd go with an Intermediate,70-80% of the time this line will be used.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 13-08-10 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks Gerrit. I will add a Di3 line later on. But it will be a bit later - budgetary contraints
    André

Fly fishing noob

It is curious - curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare ~ Mark Twain

Ja no good choice u can fish nymphs,streamers,dries,etc with those 2 lines and later when your're more experienced fish midges at greater dephs using your DI3 and possibly a 5.You'll never see me punting a DI7.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 13-08-10 at 01:51 PM.

That's what I have thought Gerrit. So far all the trout I have caught came from stillwaters and in all instances I have used a floating line, hence my reasoning for first getting a floating and intermediate line. I also believe that most of the stillwaters aren't that deep either (3-4m) - but I might be HORRIBLY mistaken in this regard (Haven't been to lakies or koekedou)

Why not the Di7??
    André

Fly fishing noob

No there are some serious deep water but the thing is as soon as u pass the 20-25ft depth mark,the whole picture change drasticly.Less oxygen,less photosynthese(sp),etc,ect.

Sure u will catch fish very deep but they won't be in huge numbers.Personally I don't go deeper than 10m in Stillwaters so I'd rather wait a few seconds more with a DI3 than using a DI7 for a limited amount of time.

Hope I made sense.

That makes perfect sense thanks. So the Di7 just sinks MUCH faster than the Di3 in other words?
    André

Fly fishing noob

Ja 3 or 7 inches per second.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Ja 3 or 7 inches per second.
    Now it makes even more sense thanks
    André

Fly fishing noob

Quote Originally Posted by KB280DT View Post
    That's what I have thought Gerrit. So far all the trout I have caught came from stillwaters and in all instances I have used a floating line, hence my reasoning for first getting a floating and intermediate line. I also believe that most of the stillwaters aren't that deep either (3-4m) - but I might be HORRIBLY mistaken in this regard (Haven't been to lakies or koekedou)

Why not the Di7??
    There is a difference between still waters, and bank fished stockie ponds. Dont confuse the two with the methods that you need to use to fish them. Nothing wrong with stockie ponds, but still water fishing is usually done from a boat or a float tube. If you are drift boat fishing, line sink rate becomes far more critical, and at times you need a DI5 and DI7. When bank fishing a stockie pond, you will be able to get away with a floater in almost all situations, unless, you are doing single booby fishing. If you are doing tubing, it really doasnt matter that much either, as you are able to hold your drift while a weighted fly goes down, even on a flaoting line.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast