Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk Tigers

Get one of the local boat drivers to take you out with the Ark, you will get a lot moer fish and be a lot safer! Hippos do moch atacks and silent atacks and so forth, even guys on the river everyday get it wrong sometimes and then you dont want to be in a litle Ark. That said I feel quite safe with a local fisherman in a makoro, so just pay a local that works or worked at one of the lodges to take you out, the small amount he will charge will be worthwhile. Especialy at the start of your trip.

With regard to the permits, you definately need to get the necessary paperwork in Gaberone for your boat and it needs to get sprayed there before you can get onto the water. If you have the necessary docs, entrance to the rivers isn't really a problem. I have no idea what the position is in Namibia, but it might be a good idea to check with their department of water afairs first. Enjoy the trip man!

My plan is to get someone to show us around the river on the 1st day or 2 just in case. The area we are going to is just outside Rundu (not going into Bots) and is reasonably populated. There is also significant river traffic - locals and tourists (water skiing is even offerred at the lodge next door!).
    I am guessing that hippo specifically will be relatively scarce so close to a major town. All I know is, if you see a hippo ducking under, turn around and bugger off. They also usually become more active in the evening and night and will avoid the deeper channels, especially in stronger flow. I'm shit scared of them and won't take any chances! I looked one in the eye one night in the campsite at Linyanti, luckily it was grazing in the shallows and wasn't too fussed but my heart still skipped a beat or two.
    So far I could not get any info on taking boats into Nam - still waiting for a few people to get back to me though. thanks for all the input, much appreciated.

I'm doing a tigerfish trip in December, so I will be following this with a keen eye.

Please post a lot of pics and feedback on your trip.

Good luck, have a blast!
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Here's a pic of my duck at Witsand. It's not the Fishduc but the Seal, which is a bit bigger. The motor is 15hp. I've used in the the Transkei, Hout Bay, Buffels Bay and Witsand mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    All of the above means: "Get the f*** away from the Hippos!" to me.
    Flippin got that right.....Hippos are the second most dangerous animal in Africa, in terms of human deaths they cause.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Just came back from a trip to Sekoma (Mambova Rapids of the Upper Zambezi), the catfish run is in full swing.
    We caught about 15 to 20 fish per day with the biggest only being 10lb, the average was between 3 to 5lb. We out caught the spinning guys by far.

Enjoy and go prepared, I broke 2 rods and lost 1 fly line (1 rod stupidity and the other snapped mid cast) ended catching with my 6 weight what a blast.
    Pieter

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Hippos and crocs are only a problem if you get into their personal space, interfere with thier food, or threaten their young. The trick is to recognise when you are doing this. boating on a river is generally non threatening to the animals if you know how close you can safely get, and how fast etc. The key is to be aware of some of the subtle changes in the animals behaviour, which will indicate imminent threats to you. generally your behaviour with the boat. If a hippo sticks his head out the water and blows through his nose, do you know what this means, and if a hippo ducks under the water as you go past and blows loudly under the water, do you know what this means? If you are going to launch a boat on a hippo river, I suggest you find out, coz it might just save your life in an extreme situation. Safety is a major concern in some parts of the Delta, and in the Cobe area, it is totally forbidden to operate boat on the river without a local competency certificate, due to the wildlife hazards.
    Yeah... Rather just hire a poler...
    All polers with 3 years of experience automatically are granted half guide status. Within 2 years of attaining this they become full status guides.
    As a full status guide they can even get to access to hathab sites in the national parks!
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Flippin got that right.....Hippos are the second most dangerous animal in Africa, in terms of human deaths they cause.
    you'll get into trouble for referring to taxi drivers as "animals"...

I thought hippos WERE the animals responsible for the most human deaths in Africa?

No..the most dangerous animal is Andre fishing the Cape streams drunk on Chai Tea.....
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast