Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Simonstown

Default Simonstown

Hi all. I`m off to Simonstown in November but never fished that area before. Where am I allowed to fish, where should I fish and what should I use. Any advise would be great.

It would be a good idea to find out before you come, where the reserves begin and end. The places where you may and may not fish, are quite patchy, but you would be well advised to get down to some of the areas at Cape point where you are allowed to fish from the rocks. Guys have been getting good yellowtail from the shore.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Question

Thanks Andre. Any advice on patterns?

Depends what you are going for, but fly fishing opportunities off the rocks are very limited, you just won't be able to get the fly out far enough If you are going out in a boat, you will have better luck for yellowtail and snoek, but from the rocks, you would have to throw our plugs and spoons, with some serious distance casting rods.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

ok. So I will need to get onto a boat or else I will be getting a lot of casting practise. are there any other areas around there that might me worth casting a fly from?

You can always try Zandvlei for leeries, do a search on the Zandvlei threads. It's quite close to Simonstown.
    It's your best set to get right on fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Botes View Post
    You can always try Zandvlei for leeries, do a search on the Zandvlei threads. It's quite close to Simonstown.
    It's your best set to get right on fly.
    howzit Conrad! Bert, also try Kalkbay harbour wall which is in fact the only place exept Strand where I have caught something from the side in False bay. you can get maasbanker and other types of small fish here. Just do yourself a favour and organise an outing on a boat. Nov is yellowtail and yellowfin time! Snoek fishing has been so sporadic the last few years so they should also be around - last year Christmas I had some of the best snoek fishing off Kommetjie still.

Zandvlei is a good bet just get someone to go with you and show the best spots otherwise you'll spend your day pulling weeds. Coastal park past Muizenberg is still one of my fave local freshwater venues - again get company.

Another place I can recommend - even if it's just for the outing, is Buffels bay near Cape Point. I have had some good fun in Simonstown bay around the swing moorings catching things like sardine and gurnard. There is also plenty chokka - just check the closed seasons I'm not sure when they are.

thanks for all the help guys. Boating seems to be the way. But I think I'll still try my luck from the side. Even if it's just to say I did it

Booger Rose Banned User

FF opertunities on that side of Falsebay is limited - Maybe only Zandvlei for a leerie. Other side of the bay might be better bet on the reefs at Strand and Blakes.

R&S will have picked up by then and Strandfontein, Muizenberg, Macassar will all be producing (hopefully) some kobbies etc.

Quote Originally Posted by will101 View Post
    howzit Conrad! Bert, also try Kalkbay harbour wall which is in fact the only place exept Strand where I have caught something from the side in False bay. you can get maasbanker and other types of small fish here. Just do yourself a favour and organise an outing on a boat. Nov is yellowtail and yellowfin time! Snoek fishing has been so sporadic the last few years so they should also be around - last year Christmas I had some of the best snoek fishing off Kommetjie still.

Zandvlei is a good bet just get someone to go with you and show the best spots otherwise you'll spend your day pulling weeds. Coastal park past Muizenberg is still one of my fave local freshwater venues - again get company.

Another place I can recommend - even if it's just for the outing, is Buffels bay near Cape Point. I have had some good fun in Simonstown bay around the swing moorings catching things like sardine and gurnard. There is also plenty chokka - just check the closed seasons I'm not sure when they are.
    Coastal Park..... Freshwater??....... Bwaaahahahahahahahah......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast