Thread: Renosterkop Dam

Default Renosterkop Dam

Hey all, I had my little trip yesterday to renosterkop dam. A HUGE but very impressive dam. Water clarity was excellent and temp was about 20'C at 2'o clock. I went along with some friends to target mainly bass.

The fishing was extremely hard but I managed to land the first fish of the day at 7h00 the morning with an olive red eye damsel fly. For some reason the bass just refused to take any flies the rest of the day.. the guys that were spinning picked up a few small ones by dead sticking plastic baits.

I know this is cheating but I eventially pulled out my baitcaster rod and tried my luck with some plastic baits. Managed to pick up another 4 fish ranging from 500g to just over 1kg. There are some really nice fish in that dam! The carp and blue kurper were all massive!

I do think that I lacked depth with my flies ito getting them down quickly and getting the bass to notice them.. The bass that were caught were in about 1m of water. Top water baits were just useless...unless I was doing it wrong??

All and all a good day on the water, and would recommend it anytime! Just make sure you have a boat.

A little pic of my bass caught on a plastic candy fluke.

G
    ..there we were..5 against 100.. ..Man did we F@k those 5 up..!

this time of year you need to sight fish to nesting bass in renosterkop - not everyone's cup of tea
    Check your knots!

Sounds like hard work! Where the crocs friendly?
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

You should look at changing your tactics ... friend of mine picked up in excess of 30 on fly, all on poppers and such, still all small.

A bass fisherman chucking conventional stuff picked up 97 for the day, the majority being those less than a kilo rats like the one in your and a few better ones with one cracking the scale at 2.4kgs.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post
    Sounds like hard work! Where the crocs friendly?
    Didn`t see any crocs, apparently on the opposite side of the dam there they lurk! I did see some fish eagles though!! Man I think you would`ve killed to get a pick firephish

@ Scyth. The fish were very slow feeding and just plain full of crap! The only fish I could pic up were on plastic conventional lures. Dead sticking the lure and waiting for the bass to pick it up and run with it. I tried strip leeches and fat minnow flies but they were`nt interested at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    Didn`t see any crocs, apparently on the opposite side of the dam there they lurk! I did see some fish eagles though!! Man I think you would`ve killed to get a pick firephish
    Yeah, probably would have .... btw thanks for the invite

Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post
    Yeah, probably would have .... btw thanks for the invite
    Hey??! I did invite you! You said you couldn`t make it that weekend?? But we going to Nigel dam this weekend rite?

Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    Hey??! I did invite you! You said you couldn`t make it that weekend?? But we going to Nigel dam this weekend rite?
    hmmm, I must have mised the part were you said you where going to renoster! ... yup definatley up for Nigel on Sunday Looks like it could be windy though!