Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: New to this all....

Quote Originally Posted by angi84 View Post
    Can I get these kits from any fly shop? Sounds like a great idea!
    Most of the good fly shops that stock tying material should have them.. try any of the Mias tackle shops, there is one in Benoni and there is one in Foutways that def have them.
    ..there we were..5 against 100.. ..Man did we F@k those 5 up..!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    Most of the good fly shops that stock tying material should have them.. try any of the Mias tackle shops, there is one in Benoni and there is one in Foutways that def have them.
    Great! Thanks...I'll go have a look there!

I'm based in Centurion...do you know of any good fly shops around here?
    Well there aren't that many fly fishing specific shops around, so they're all pretty good ... depending entirely on what you are looking for.

The basics are :

Angling Africa (Next to Suzuki Centurion)
    Solly's Anglers Corner (Garsfontein Road, near Menlyn)
    Flyfishing Pro Shop (Newslands Centre, Corner of Dely & Lois)
    or
    Mias (Woodmead)
    Flyfishers Unlimited (Fourways Crossing)
    Frontier Fishing (Peter Place, William Nichol)

Actually you should check the last TCFF for all their information and details.

First pick your pattern ... then get an SBS (Step By Step) then proceed to tie.

Actually, you should get a vice and tools first ... basic kit includes scissors, bobbin holder, whip finish tool etc, you can get really cheap combo kits at most of the fly shops that will have everything you need to start and unless you know what you're doing, which as a beginner you don't, you won't experience any real benefit from having expensive, quality tools.

I still use my first set of cheapy scissors I bought in a combo pack like how many ever years ago I started tying.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Actually, you should get a vice and tools first ... basic kit includes scissors, bobbin holder, whip finish tool etc
    Well, I actually have D's old vice that he gave me to use and a bobbin holder...but that's it. I learnt how to do a whip finish without the tool...not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

So, yea, I guess I should start with the other tools first, which aren't really a lot...then some basic materials.

Welcome to forum Angi!

Before you blunder in and spend a lot of cash on a tools,hooks, materials et al make sure you start off at the beginning.What's the beginning? 2k on materials right? Wrong.

SORT OUT YOUR SEATING/TYING STATION FIRST. AND NO IT'S NOT THE OBVIOUS PLACE TO START.

If you can speak to someone (expert in the field) about good posture wrt your back, legs, boutjies, arms,neck,etc. Tying flies with bad posture will result in serious neck pain, back ache and headaches.Something you can avoid beforehand. (Use it or don't)

Then you should start to look at your intended target specie/s and which food is available to those species during a 12 month cycle. This will in essence determine to a huge degree what fly patterns you will tie or want to start tying.

Enjoy the ride!
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 10-09-10 at 04:38 PM.

I'm based in Centurion...do you know of any good fly shops around here?
    If your BF is a fly fishing guide...surely he must be able to show you the nearest shops, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    If your BF is a fly fishing guide...surely he must be able to show you the nearest shops, etc?
    Yea, he's actually based at a shop in Sandton. He's also suggested Angling Africa. Just seeing if other people know of any others around the Centurion area.

Wink

Yip and the only way to a beginning is through a fly?
    Et1

To fish is human,
    to throw back is divine

Hey guys!!!!

I got a fly rod for my birthday from my boyfriend and am keen to learn as much as I can about fly-fishing. Aside from the actual fishing part of it...which he's teaching me...I'm keen to learn how to tie flies. Are there any groups that meet in the Pretoria area? Also, where are the nice, affordable places to fish around Pretoria?

Or just any advice would be cool. :-)

Angi
    Hi Angi, welcome.... Firstly, you need to marry the boyfried, as by giving you a fly rod, it proves that he is a sensitive caring man, with amazing capacity to understand your innermost feelings and needs. I would take great care not to let this one get away. He truly, is one in a million. Unless of course, he bought a rod that he actually wants, and in the hope that you don't take to the sport, he can re possess the rod, and use it himself...in which case, he is a selfish uncaring b@stard, with no thought for your feelings. You should dump him, and hook up with someone who will really appreciate the rod for what it is... please post a pic of the rod....
    Teasing hey..... I hope you get much pleasure from your fishing and tying.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Et1 View Post
    Yip and the only way to a beginning is through a fly?
    KOOS!! dont be a pig!!. Spot on!! Now for Shammers *** reply.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast