Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ithumela Fishing

I used to fish at the confluence there in the 1970s when it was still wild and Scythe's right, the meeting up of the two is just on the east side at what is now Glenburn
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Well correction ... the river section is the same colour as the sludge near Harties dam wall,
    Sludge? When I fished that river in March it was glass clear. Easily 1.5m vis.

What changed?

EDIT: I think you were referring to the sludge on the dam. I was referring to the river below the dam. DOH!
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    I used to fish at the confluence there in the 1970s when it was still wild and Scythe's right, the meeting up of the two is just on the east side at what is now Glenburn
    Scythe's right? Yoh, you hate WP olks that much that you sommer call them names???

Don't worry, CJ, go to the wine festival, we're all allowed a day off to go off the rails every now and then...and yes we still love you!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    His crazy that guy! The Blaauwbank meets up with the Crocodile at Glenburn Lodge.
    That was always my understanding too... But ja, thats one stubborn Oomie right there
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    EDIT: I think you were referring to the sludge on the dam. I was referring to the river below the dam. DOH!
    No, the river at Ithumela which is accessible from one single spot on the bank which has a 1M drop to the water's surface is at the very tail end of a pool of around 100M or so, totally inaccessible except for from this one spot ... that pool ... the only pool accessible at Ithumela, was fully covered with green sludge which you can't see through ... the same green sludge you find all over Harties, especially in the shallows and near the dam wall.

Further down you get to a small rapid about 2M wide, there the water flows clear (ish) but it's not fishable due to overgrowth ... I suppose you could fish it with two segments of a 4Pce rod and your reel in your pocket ... but then again due to the branches you could only pitch your fly in two holes of around 1M square and the rest of it's very shallow so it would only hold LS in the real dead of summer.

Anyways, please go check for yourselves.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

7. Default

sho....ok guys. well, if you had to choose between ithumela and bergsig? where would you go? if it were just the two of us, i'd go to another venue...but the other people aren't keen on spending too much money on entrance and fish.

Do they want to actually catch a fish ?

Then neither of those two
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

I agree 100%!

10. Default

Gosh....ok, then i'm gonna try convince them to go somewhere else then.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123