Thread: Barkly East (Bok & Sterkspruit)

Default Barkly East (Bok & Sterkspruit)

Morning All,

I'm heading to Barkly East early October (Work & Fishing). I heard that the Bok & Sterkspruit River levels are very low (poor rainfall). Is it at least fishable?

If not, are there any other options (for fishing) in the area?

later
    Francois
    AMFFF

I heard they've been having some rain up there in the past few days.
    Best bet is to speak to Mario (smallstreams.co.za)
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by amfff View Post
    Morning All,

I'm heading to Barkly East early October (Work & Fishing). I heard that the Bok & Sterkspruit River levels are very low (poor rainfall). Is it at least fishable?

If not, are there any other options (for fishing) in the area?

later
    Francois
    AMFFF
    We have had some good rains, and the rivers & streams should be about perfect when you arrive. At the moment the lower sections are coffee, but the upper sections should be firing. I'll be there for 10 days starting Saturday - hope to get a few days in
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Dizzy & Mario

Thx for the reply.
    I'm glad they had some rain.

later
    Francois
    AMFFF

Dizzy & Mario

Thx for the reply.
    I'm glad they had some rain.

later
    Francois
    AMFFF
    Still having ....
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Mario,

I'm glad it is still raing in Barkly East.

If possible give us feed back on the flow of the rivers & feed back on the fishing.

Francois
    AMFF

Mario,

I'm glad it is still raing in Barkly East.

If possible give us feed back on the flow of the rivers & feed back on the fishing.

Francois
    AMFF
    Francois, I'll only be leaving this weekend, but if you PM me your cell number I will keep you updated once there.

We are expecting rain until around Thursday, and then only again on Monday, so I reckon the fishing should be pretty decent.
    Mario Geldenhuys

I'm going to be on the upper Bell this weekend, and maybe on the sterkspruit on Sunday, will be able to report back on Monday.

I fished the Upper bell over the weekend, the water levels are still very low. The sterkspruit was also very low, but the lower reaches has some good stretches that will produce quite good. If the region gets some rain between now and your trip the fishing will be easier. We took a couple of good fish, but in very low clear water. Its quite a chalenge at the moment, but very enjoyable, to me in any case. I would say prepare for low flows. Mario should be able to report back soon though, hopefully it rains a bit in the near future.

Chrisvd,

Thx for the report.

Rain or no rain we will be in Barkly mid Oct, if not for fishing then for the outing.

later
    Francois