Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: accessories

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    I fish very heavy tackle on the vaal and while i might get fewer takes than most guys i dont have to worry as much about bullying fish and losing fish to poor hooks/line/knots with the end result being i land more fish in the end. Using 12lb 0.32 berkley vanish or 14lb 0.34 pline as tippet i have yet to open a #6 or # 8 mustad circle hook...
    Jock0 - have you not thought to try something thinnner - like 1X (0.25mm) decent quality fluoro - you will still get your 12lb breaking strain, but with better fly movement & take detection.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Nymph+O- View Post
    TMC is definitely the way to go even though it is more expensive it is worth the extra money. Once you start to buy around you stop ****ing around....
    Correct - if I told you that for 10 bucks, I would have you land 5 more fish in a day, including the biggest fish of the day - would you go for it?
    Spend the money on good hooks.

Gary

Watch out how you answer that question ... he is a fledgling meeeeelionaire entrepeneur in disguise and if you don't watch out you might end up getting an invoice for R10.00 in the post
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymph+O- View Post
    Grip hooks suck big time, this inferior quality product let me down more then once and I will never use this K@K product ever again. The main problem seems to be that they are over tempered and thus break and I have also found a batch of hooks that opened up on light tippet during a fight. This product is way too inconsistent to be used by any serious fisherman.

TMC is definitely the way to go even though it is more expensive it is worth the extra money. Once you start to buy around you stop ****ing around....
    The way they go on about them in the TCFFM it seems that they're wonderful. I bought a couple some time back. I can't say that I've noticed a difference between Grip and Temco, but thank you for the advice.
    "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing" - Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Jock0 - have you not thought to try something thinnner - like 1X (0.25mm) decent quality fluoro - you will still get your 12lb breaking strain, but with better fly movement & take detection.

Gary
    Have done so numerous times Gary, but i find that "purpose made" fly fishing tippet is incredibly inconsistent and overly priced - i had a good experience with rio flouroflex plus which I'm assuming is close to top quality given its price. I then bought another two spools from two different shops and both were garbage. I have actually shown this to one shop owner and he basically shrugged his shoulders.

I'm happy using my builders cord at this stage cos it doubles up for guy ropes during storms
    Check your knots!

Default shot?

well i had an idea of it being a k@k batch of hooks. Thanks to all for the info, and to ggy for the R10 tip i will try it. but i must say i am using what i consider
    an extremely tough thine strong line.... its just the hooks.... i have tied over 400
    flies exclusively for sm this season....100 of those are in the bin.... lesson learned. i realize spending the money and buying quality will save me my R10 or more in the end. and a higher catch rate. Guess when i go to kenya in july im going to find some real hooks. ill bring back a few hundred let you guys know. then u could also buy some from me.

ggy i would love to have the honour of a day on the vaal with you!

bend a nail and tie it on.... not!
    doing my bit to conserve are you?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2