Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: I Got One!!!

Nice fish you got there!! Not sure about down in the cold water, but when they come up with the sard into warmer water, they can pull!!! had the plesure of hooking a few in the 2008 sard run!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Just out of curiosity, was that fish revived and released safely ? The skin looks somewhat dry ...
    Yeah I noticed that when I saw the pic too, but she was revived and released. When pulling her back into the water i couldn't get a grip as she was still slippery, so in reality she wasn't as dry as she looks.

She wasn't out the water for more than 5 minutes, and when put back she took a swipe at me before going over the lip, so i hope she had enough energy to make it back to safety.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    ... but she was revived and released...
    That's cool, was just asking, congrats again ... that thing must have pulled.

Are they fast and furious or more like catfish, dogged and persistent.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

This is the only one i have hooked so i am no expert, but from watching other guys fight them, there seems to be three distinct parts to the fight.

The first bit is when he takes and runs, and he runs at serious pace, and all you can do is hold on and watch the line peel off as he goes. Mine got out to about 250 to 300m on serious drag before slowing down.

Once he slows down you get to the tug of war part where you get some line, he takes some, and back and forth where he will make some smaller fast runs, until you get him to the shore break, and then the hard part starts. Most fights i have seen are only about half way done at this point, but invariably you've seen the fish now as they sit on the surface while coming in, going backwards and forwards, and you finally know what you are dealing with.

Then you spend the rest of the fight in purgatory trying to get him over the lip, and he just swims back and forth, you pull with everything you've got and get him just on the lip with a wave and he skriks and ducks out to 10 or 20m and you start again, and again, and again, until finally you get him over and he stays over long enough for one of your buddies to grab him by the tail. Man what a rush when it's over though!

It's definitely the hardest thing i have had to do in fishing, but so cool i can't wait to do it again, although for the rest of that day i did not cast out again as i was punished!

My fight was only half hour and i was broken. Bossi's 165kg Bronzie was about a half hour first run without stopping, then hour and a half to get him to the lip, where Bossi would walk backwards up the beach, then run forward while reeling in, over and over again, and then when he got it to the lip, it took him another 2 hours to get it over the lip.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post
    Awesome work Grant, you've put in alot of hours, and got your just rewards mate!! Big ups!! I bet Coxy is jealous! ;-)
    Nepps, Coxy's k*k is in the mail! He's been really unlucky up till now, and he lost a nice fish on saturday. Watch this space for his addition, cos your namesake owes him big time, and when he pays up, it's gonna be a daddy!

... there seems to be three distinct parts to the fight.
    ... the rest of that day i did not cast out again as i was punished!
    Jirre I'm sold ... sign me up ...

Excellent story, again well done, extremely envious even though it is on bait.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

That's the fun of Bronzie fishing. You stop them on their initial run, bring them in and then their belly's touch the sandbank - in a matter of seconds all your hard won line peels of the reel with SERIAAS speed. You stop the fish, bring it in, belly touches the sandbank - let's start over again
    André

Fly fishing noob

It is curious - curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by KB280DT View Post
    That's the fun of Bronzie fishing. You stop them on their initial run, bring them in and then their belly's touch the sandbank - in a matter of seconds all your hard won line peels of the reel with SERIAAS speed. You stop the fish, bring it in, belly touches the sandbank - let's start over again
    Andre you must let us know when you're coming for some Bronzies - maybe we can hook up!

I WANT ONE!!!
    oh and well done hey, nice catch
    BOSHOF! wil jy huis toe gaan? Jaa samajoor! JY KANNIE!

The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick

Andre you must let us know when you're coming for some Bronzies - maybe we can hook up!
    Definitely Bakkie's in the workshop at the moment and this weekend I'm going to Newlands to watch some rugby. Let me see how next weekend pans out - will PM you if I am heading down to Macs
    André

Fly fishing noob

It is curious - curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare ~ Mark Twain

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3