Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry Fly (Floatant Product)

Default Dry Fly (Floatant Product)

Hey Boys & Girls,

I want my Dry Flies to float longer & higher on top of the water surface (Rivers & Streams).
    What is the "Best" product on the market in SA & how long can you keep the product for?
    Where I can purchase the product & cost would help.

I've searched the Threads on this Site (some interesting products!)

Your advise will be much appreciated.

Thx
    Francois
    AMFFF

Top Ride, any respectable fly shop

I use Loon Floatant Gel.. Works brilliantly for me Any good fly shop would have and I bought some 3 weeks ago paid R50.
    ..there we were..5 against 100.. ..Man did we F@k those 5 up..!

Quote Originally Posted by amfff View Post
    Hey Boys & Girls,

I want my Dry Flies to float longer & higher on top of the water surface (Rivers & Streams).
    Depends on the material.

More CDC, more hair or hackle perhaps,maybe "lighter" hooks and not necessarily floatant? The Loon's stuff is good if you need additional floatant.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 06-10-10 at 01:22 PM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Gink is very good.

You will also need something to dry it when/if it does get wet.

Kleenex tissues, I found to be the best, then in one of the shake containers, for the last bit of moisture.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Loon's Aquel...or dip your fly's in Loon's Hydrostop...and let them dry over night. Dont dip your CDC patterns - they already have a natural oil that keeps them floating.

Blog Entries

The "oil" on the cdc will eventually wear off. You can carry a duck's preen gland with you but then people look at you funny and you will eventually eat it when you get hungry. You can get some cdc oil from certain shops but I think it is seriously expensive as it is very difficult to milk a duck

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    The "oil" on the cdc will eventually wear off. You can carry a duck's preen gland with you but then people look at you funny and you will eventually eat it when you get hungry. You can get some cdc oil from certain shops but I think it is seriously expensive as it is very difficult to milk a duck
    The petitjean CDC oil is about R120 in PTA, but the stuff is fantastic!! its extremely fine and can be used indiscriminately on flies that incorporate CDC as it doesnt clog the fine filaments, as it is the structure of CDC that results in its floatability not necessarily the oil content

As a normal floatant cortland DAB is the bomb! but the old cortland dab not the new product. Another option is Loons Royal jelly if you like a degree of iridescence, but im not a fan of the little oil slick it creates when first entering the water even if a miniscule amount is used.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Blog Entries

I use Flyagra, keeps them up for ages.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    I use Flyagra, keeps them up for ages.
    Awesome stuff.....just dont get any on your line! Otherwise your fly would sit a meter above the water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast