Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mini-frog pattern

Default Mini-frog pattern

Hi all,

I know this a rubbish first attempt , but let me know what you all think of this. I think that any decent-sized predatory fish will definitely prey on a small frog if it can.

So basically, I would like to know,
    1) would this pattern work in trout stillwaters
    2) can you suggest any improvements on it

I know that firstly the body needs to be thickened towards the back legs, and the legs themselves also need to thickened, and perhaps the toes need to sorted out a bit.

Thanks,
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by gtraas View Post
    Hi all,

I know this a rubbish first attempt , but let me know what you all think of this. I think that any decent-sized predatory fish will definitely prey on a small frog if it can.

So basically, I would like to know,
    1) would this pattern work in trout stillwaters
    2) can you suggest any improvements on it

I know that firstly the body needs to be thickened towards the back legs, and the legs themselves also need to thickened, and perhaps the toes need to sorted out a bit.

Thanks,
    Graham

Hi Graham, how do you take criticism?

Well, it depends. If you're going to tell me to quit now, and rather take up knitting, then not well. Otherwise, go nuts.

Very Blair witch project

Hi there,

I have a good frog pattern that I tie and it catches lots of frog eating trout. I am writting exams at the moment but will be finished next week Friday.. I will tie some up and post some pics.. other wise search for something like Mrs Simpson Frog.. I took my design from that and twicked it here and there..

A pattern very similar to the one I tie... Go onto fishforflies.com and search under lure / attractor trout flies for the frog pattern.. Like I said it is very similar to mine..

The trick with tying a frog pattern, is to have the back legs longer than the natural... almost out of proportion to the body. Have you ever takern a look at a frog,with it's legs extended? the legas are about 4 times longer than the body. The reason for this, is that is it the movement of the frogs back legs that are the main trigger. It is also important to have the legs able to move as the fly is retrieved. In other words, when you pull the fly back towards you on the surface, or sub surface, the legs hang back, and when you release tension, between retrieves, the legs come forward again. It is always a good idea to test your frogs in a swimming pool if you are not sure. Another good test, is to chuck it in a bass water, and see if the bass chow it. If they do, it's a good fly.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thanks Andre. Will lengthen the legs on the next one.

I have the feeling that using deer-hair was also not exactly the smartest maneuver. I haven't really worked with deer-hair at all, so the question is, is deer hair a bit brittle to work with like this? Was thinking of maybe using some bucktail instead for the legs.

Kelvin, I'll have a look there, thanks.

[QUOTE=Andre;174426]The trick with tying a frog pattern, is to have the back legs longer than the natural... almost out of proportion to the body. Have you ever takern a look at a frog,with it's legs extended? the legas are about 4 times longer than the body. The reason for this, is that is it the movement of the frogs back legs that are the main trigger. It is also important to have the legs able to move as the fly is retrieved. In other words, when you pull the fly back towards you on the surface, or sub surface, the legs hang back, and when you release tension, between retrieves, the legs come forward again. QUOTE]

So true Andre, 90% of the fish taken on a frog pattern are at the very end of the retrieve, as the legs spring back... And when fishing frog patterns, hold on tight to the line as takes are hand and fast!!

I was very warry the first time I used a frog pattern and I only had 1 of the fly, the fish hit it so hard that it messed the fly up hence the reason for retying and improving.. I now carry a few sizes and when you see the frogs, hear the frogs and no other fly is working, tie one on and hang tight

Quote Originally Posted by gtraas View Post
    Was thinking of maybe using some bucktail instead for the legs.
    I use squirrel tail or other long stiff but flexible material, bucktail should work fine, but if you have squirrel tail its the best I've used on my patterns and as Andre said, when retrieving the fly the legs are the triggers, and if they are to soft they don't "kick"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast